• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID / Iran (1 Viewer)

Shahrzad

Iran
Thank you for identifying this bird.

Tehran / Iran / Botanical Garden

7 September 2017

Attachments

• IMG_6908.jpg
    IMG_6908.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 102
OK the 6th finger is not that obvious and agree plumage-wise it looks like EHB. It doesn't show any obvious OHB traits other than a suggestion of a 6th finger.

So, happy to go along with Tom's view that its a EHB.

Grahame

According to Collins Guide European HB has a translucent hand - which this appears to be showing?

Last edited:
Not with obvious black carpals, and the wing shape is wrong. I would suggest a likely hybrid.

Grahame

I've never seen OHB or EHB if you prefer, but to my eye the wings look ''broader'' and invariably ''the hand'' looks wider, (albeit determined by variable flight posture), altogether a bigger and heavier bird, add the 6th finger, and it becomes a distinct consideration.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back