Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 26th September 2011, 14:23   #1
ebirder

Southern Turkey July 2012

Its that time where I am being put under pressure to book a family holiday for next summer, the last few years we have been really lucky having been to Thailand and Mexico but things are a bit tighter for next year so I need some help! No I'm not asking for donations other than some ideas.

I cant do the whole sitting by the pool for more than a few hours but my wife and kids love that type of holiday so my criteria is a resort one location from which I can escape on short birding trips, a few hours is ideal with a couple of whole days thrown in (I know I am pretty fortunate)

Anyway two questions, firstly any suggested locations?

Secondly Southern Turkey appeals as I think it will fullfil my critera, does anyone have any expearience of doing this and are the key species accessible from somewhere around Antalya within a day, eg Caspian Snowcock, Pale Scops Owl etc etc

All advice appreciated.
Old Monday 26th September 2011, 16:03   #2
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirder View Post
Its that time where I am being put under pressure to book a family holiday for next summer, the last few years we have been really lucky having been to Thailand and Mexico but things are a bit tighter for next year so I need some help! No I'm not asking for donations other than some ideas.

I cant do the whole sitting by the pool for more than a few hours but my wife and kids love that type of holiday so my criteria is a resort one location from which I can escape on short birding trips, a few hours is ideal with a couple of whole days thrown in (I know I am pretty fortunate)

Anyway two questions, firstly any suggested locations?

Secondly Southern Turkey appeals as I think it will fullfil my critera, does anyone have any expearience of doing this and are the key species accessible from somewhere around Antalya within a day, eg Caspian Snowcock, Pale Scops Owl etc etc

All advice appreciated.
I have booked a family holiday near Antalya (Lara Beach) for early April, and have figured out that Akseki will take one full day (poss WB Woody, krupers nuthatch, syrian Woody, Olive-tree warbler), Seki (different direction) will take another full day (possible RF Serin, Crimson-Winged Finch, WT Robin, Snowfinch etc). Nearer to Antalya is Side, the old archeological ruins are good for warblers, and of course the reservoir just inland from Side is the Brown Fish Owl site.

Sadly, i found the sites for Snowcock & other goodies like Blue-cheeked bee-eater are just too far for a day trip.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Monday 26th September 2011, 17:24   #3
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

You could have a night or two with one of the Safak family at Camardi for Demicarzik and its birds - Snowcock, Radde's Accentor, Finsch's Wheatear, etc.
As Wolfbirder says, too far for a day trip from Antalya. You are right on the spot for Brown Fish Owl though.

Steve
Old Monday 26th September 2011, 19:51   #4
Parker
Uncomfortably Numb.

Plenty of great birding in the area you're thinking of. As Steve says you're in the right place for Brown Fish Owl & there's plenty of other good birds to see. Birds like White Throated Robin, Finsch's Wheatear, Kruper's Nuthatch, Red Fronted Serin & others can be found within a reasonable distance of Antalya, certainly on a day trip. You'll have to go to the Birecek area for Pale Scops Owl which, like Carmardi for Snowcock, is too far for a day trip. I can't help with specific sites as I'm sure they'll have changed since I was last there but have a good trip & if you get the chance eat where the locals eat & learn Yes,No & Thank you in Turkish, believe me it makes a difference.
Old Monday 26th September 2011, 20:07   #5
ebirder

Thanks all for your replies its given me some good perspective on distances, can anyone confirm how far it is in hours driving to Camardi/Demicarzik from Antalya
Old Monday 26th September 2011, 20:08   #6
Bananafishbones
Incoherently Rambling .....

For future trips:
I stay at a lovely village high above Fetiyhe called Uzumulu, in and around the village are plenty of various habitats including scrub land and pine covered mountains.

The birds of note within 30 minutes walk of and around the village in early August were:
Syrian Woodpecker - abundant
Jay - abundant
Kruipers Nuthatch - plenty
Eastern olivacious Warbler - a few
Sardinian Warbler -1
Rupells Warbler - Pair
Lesser Whitethroat - Plenty
Whitethroat - Plenty
Icterine Warbler - 1
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker -1
Short Toed Eagle -1
Black Eared Wheatear - few
Levant Sparrowhawk - 2
Sombre Tit - a few
LTTs - plenty
Red Backed Shrike -1
Woodchat Shrike - a few
House martins etc

45 Minutes away at the roman ruins of TLOS
Rock Nuthatch - plenty
Crested Lark - Plenty
Black Eared Wheatear- 1

around Dalaman Airport
Masked Shrike -1
White Stork - 60-100

Dave

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 26th September 2011, 20:37   #7
Parker
Uncomfortably Numb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirder View Post
Thanks all for your replies its given me some good perspective on distances, can anyone confirm how far it is in hours driving to Camardi/Demicarzik from Antalya
Not sure what the roads are like now but it must be 6 hours plus one way.
Old Sunday 9th October 2011, 16:51   #8
pratincol

You could do no worse than stay at the Ottoman Residence Akyaka.Its a sophisticated boutique hotel but not expensive.There is a cheaper nice looking hotel in the main town[can't remember its name].Google Akyaka hotels.
We went with a company called Anatolian Sky.
It actually borders on to a massive reed bed area and looks out on a vast rural area.
The reed bed was full of the usual reed bed birds and there were Glossy Ibises landing in the hotel grounds.
Behind the hotel there was a massive mountain area which attracted raptors.
Akyaka,when we went about 4 years ago, had escaped the tackiness of other Turkish resorts and is mainly frequented by Turkish holiday makers who are very civilised and quiet.
We also visted Dalyan for the day which looks excellent for birds.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: