• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anglesey (1 Viewer)

I am intending going to Anglesey over the May bank holiday and would appreciate any good sites to visit.
I've been to South Stacks before and to Cemlyn lagoon.
I am looking for spwcific birds to improve my 159 year list!
I'm looking for: Kittiwake Spotted Flycatcher Terns Black Guillemot Puffin Grasshopper Warbler Turtle Dove Lesser Whitethroat Hobby Little Owl and I've headr that you may find Golden Pheasant on Anglesey.
I may visit what I think is an RSPB reserve nearby at Conway which seems to have had good sightings.
Any advice, tips and recent experiences either on Anglesey or at Conway would be appreciated.
Are there any good birding spots close to Anglesey before you reach Bangor?
I'd be grateful for any help. Many thanks.

paulsmwaters said:
I am intending going to Anglesey over the May bank holiday and would appreciate any good sites to visit.
I've been to South Stacks before and to Cemlyn lagoon.
I am looking for spwcific birds to improve my 159 year list!
I'm looking for: Kittiwake Spotted Flycatcher Terns Black Guillemot Puffin Grasshopper Warbler Turtle Dove Lesser Whitethroat Hobby Little Owl and I've headr that you may find Golden Pheasant on Anglesey.
I may visit what I think is an RSPB reserve nearby at Conway which seems to have had good sightings.
Any advice, tips and recent experiences either on Anglesey or at Conway would be appreciated.
Are there any good birding spots close to Anglesey before you reach Bangor?
I'd be grateful for any help. Many thanks.

Kittiwake - you should get them at South Stack - ask the wardens at Ellin's Tower for advice.

Spotted Flycatcher - not common on Anglesey, though they are fairly widespread. No specific sites as such, though the Breakwater Country Park at Holyhead could be worth a try.

Terns - you should get Sandwich, Common and Arctic at Cemlyn without problems. If your luck is in you might just get Roseate and/or Little there too.

Black Guillemot - if you are going to South Stack anyway, look in Holyhead harbour where a few pairs now breed. Otherwise Point Lynas and Fedw Fawr are good sites.

Puffin - at South Stack. Ask the wardens for precise directions if you son't see them

Grasshopper Warbler - often one or two at Cemlyn

Turtle Dove - they only occur on Anglesey as passage migrants, usually no more than 2 - 3 a year.

Lesser Whitethroat - more common on the east side of the island, in any suitable habitat. Around Llyn Llywenan can be good.

Hobby - like Turtle Dove, they don't breed here, though there are usually a few records of wandering birds. Have been seen around Llyn Alaw and Llyn Cefni, but you'll need to be lucky

Little Owl - usually one or two around Cemlyn. Ask the tern wardens there. Also some at Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.

Golden Pheasant - one of the two populations on Anglesey has pretty certainly died out. There might be one or two left above Beaumaris, but I haven't seen one for donkey's years.

Sites on the way to Anglesey - after passing Conwy RSPB, there is Morfa Madryn LNR just off the A55 near Llanfairfechan and Aber Ogwen / The Spinnies near Bangor. Have a look at the Cambrian Ornithological Society website at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cambrianos

Just to add a more little detail for Fedw Fawr: the grid ref is SH603818, which is <here>.

Every time I've been (about 5 or 6 occasions now), I've got lost in the lanes betweenLlangoed, Penmon and Mariandrys - they're a nightmare! Also worth noting that the lane down to the National Trust car park is unbelievably tiny, and the carpark only holds 3 or 4 vehicles. On a busy Bank Hol weekend, you might be better to park in Mariandrys and walk - might save a great deal of stress and tight manoeuvring!

Once you've... a) found it, and ...b) got parked, it's well worth it - beautiful spot, and gorgeous Black Guillemots.

Have a good trip - I'll be over there myself for Whitsun weekend.

David

Penmon Point is good for the 4 Auks and terns, and I agree that finding Fedw Fawr can be tricky.

You could add Valley Lakes for warblers including Cetti's, don't forget Peregrine Raven Chough and Hooded Crow at South Stack, waders and the odd migrant at Maltraeth and keep your wits about you - Anglesey has a good record for rarities too!

Rhion said:
Golden Pheasant - one of the two populations on Anglesey has pretty certainly died out. There might be one or two left above Beaumaris, but I haven't seen one for donkey's years.

Hi Rhion,

As far as I am aware, there are still golden pheasants at Beaumaris but they are in a private bit of woodland and are not usually viewable.

Ian

anglesey

Rhion said:
Kittiwake - you should get them at South Stack - ask the wardens at Ellin's Tower for advice.

Spotted Flycatcher - not common on Anglesey, though they are fairly widespread. No specific sites as such, though the Breakwater Country Park at Holyhead could be worth a try.

Terns - you should get Sandwich, Common and Arctic at Cemlyn without problems. If your luck is in you might just get Roseate and/or Little there too.

Black Guillemot - if you are going to South Stack anyway, look in Holyhead harbour where a few pairs now breed. Otherwise Point Lynas and Fedw Fawr are good sites.

Puffin - at South Stack. Ask the wardens for precise directions if you son't see them

Grasshopper Warbler - often one or two at Cemlyn

Turtle Dove - they only occur on Anglesey as passage migrants, usually no more than 2 - 3 a year.

Lesser Whitethroat - more common on the east side of the island, in any suitable habitat. Around Llyn Llywenan can be good.

Hobby - like Turtle Dove, they don't breed here, though there are usually a few records of wandering birds. Have been seen around Llyn Alaw and Llyn Cefni, but you'll need to be lucky

Little Owl - usually one or two around Cemlyn. Ask the tern wardens there. Also some at Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.

Sites on the way to Anglesey - after passing Conwy RSPB, there is Morfa Madryn LNR just off the A55 near Llanfairfechan and Aber Ogwen / The Spinnies near Bangor. Have a look at the Cambrian Ornithological Society website at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cambrianos
thank you for your excellent information. Unfortunately, I was hoping to stay at the Travelodge at Bangor but it's fully booked this weekend.
I hope to go later. Can you tell me, roughly, when the puffins, black guillemots and arctic terns would leave the island?

June and July should be OK. They are still around in August but your chances for some of them are not quite so good.

Red-breasted Merganser can be seen from the Four Mile Bridge on the way towards Trearddur Bay going from the Valley, Sandwich Terns are around there as well, then you can carry on from there to South Stack where you would also get Fulmars to add to your list.

Rhion said:

Also they were present (three to four pairs) on the Brynsiencyn to Llangaffo back road when I last lived there about four years ago: just after you turn on to that road going N-West immediately after leaving Brynsiencyn and go down the hill a bit(after the sharp left turn at the bottom of the village). There also used to be a Tree Sparrow colony down that road near Caer Leb, but it had died out some time before I left. This road is also good for Raven at all times of year although they're more numerous in winter.

If you do decide to try here because you're unsuccessful elsewhere, be very careful if walking instead of driving. This road is a favourite race-track for idiots.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back