• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmations aus Frankfurt (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
I started identifying these with my Collins, but am now on the road and don't have access to it.

1-2. Blackcap, I presume. Though if there were a similar looking bird, I'd never know it without the book.
3. Terrible with the female Anas sp. Gadwall?
4. When I had the book in hand, I think I had narrowed this down to a House Crow, due to the steep forehead and extra-black face and wings, though now I can't find reference online to all black House Crows, so I don't know what I was thinking. The forehead really seems to be eliminating Carrion Crow to my eye and the bill shape/color eliminates Chough or Rook. The size wasn't nearly big enough for Raven.
5. Juvenile Robin (LBJ for me).

Attachments

• Frankfurt - Blackcap.jpg
    Frankfurt - Blackcap.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Frankfurt - Blackcap 2.jpg
    Frankfurt - Blackcap 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Frankfurt - Gadwall.jpg
    Frankfurt - Gadwall.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 40
  • Frankfurt - House Crow.jpg
    Frankfurt - House Crow.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Frankfurt - Juvenile Robin.jpg
    Frankfurt - Juvenile Robin.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 24
1-2 yes, Blackcap.
3 with that all-black bill, I'm thinking a domesticated variant Mallard. Gadwall has bright orange sides to the bill.
4 Carrion Crow (no House Crows in Frankfurt!).
5 yes, juv Robin.

1-2 yes, Blackcap.
3 with that all-black bill, I'm thinking a domesticated variant Mallard. Gadwall has bright orange sides to the bill.
4 Carrion Crow (no House Crows in Frankfurt!).
5 yes, juv Robin.
Seconded. Also, House Crows aren't native to Europe, and I haven't seen them anywhere on this continent so far. Although Hooded Crows (occurring mostly east of the Elbe, very rare vagrant in Frankfurt, if at all), are superficially similar. The unusual head shape must be due to erect crown feathers.
The local confusion species is actually immature Rook, which can be difficult to tell from Carrion Crow without a close look at times.

Thanks, folks. The Collins guide probably gave more nuanced description of their range which I misread or failed to read, or perhaps it didn't and that's where I was confused. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back