• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile House Finch? Male? (1 Viewer)

LumixFZ

Seen today at the feeder in Ohio. I am thinking it is a juvenile male house finch or am I way off?

Attachments

• Juvie-01-small.jpg
    Juvie-01-small.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Juvie-02small.jpg
    Juvie-02small.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 32
The beak doesn't seem right for a House Finch especially on the second image. Some kind of juvenile Grosbeak perhaps? Let's see what the geniuses say.

To me, perhaps the bill looks a bit large for House Finch in the first image, but it's still a House Finch for sure. My age guess is that it's a young male.

Okay, the fact that the bill was so dark in the second image through me off a bit. In that case a juvie male House Finch.

Thanks, that is what I thought. That little hint of red on the chest and even seen near the face is what made me think it was a juvie male house finch. I have quite a number of mature ones around here too. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back