• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown gull at Chew Valley Lake, UK (1 Viewer)

Jampots

We sighted a gull at Chew Valley Lake Saturday afternoon, 2/10/04, which we were unable to identify to our satisfaction. I have attached photos of it - it was very obliging and remained in view for a long time. Other birders suggested ring-billed but the plumage seemed very dark, and it didn't look like ones we have seen before (in Toronto). It appeared to be a very similar size to Lesser Black-Backed gulls which were present at the same time, but its bill didn't look right for a LBB, and much larger than the Black-Headed Gulls which it seemed to be hanging out with. We also considered Common Gull, again seemed to fit some characteristics but not all. Legs were white/grey to naked eye, Black pupil in eye had paler ring around it and then it was darker again round the outside of the eye. We would appreciate your input.
Jampots :h?:

Attachments

• chew valley_06.jpg
    chew valley_06.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 171
  • chew valley_20.jpg
    chew valley_20.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 162
  • chew valley_40.jpg
    chew valley_40.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 205
This bird appears to me to be a sub adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. The mantle colour is far too dark for Ring-billed Gull. The bird also pocesses a red spot on the lower mandible, also illiminating the previously mentioned species. A good pointer for it being a sub adult is that the bird still seem to show pink legs (again, Ring-billed don't, they have yellow legs, but this varies somewhat). If you still are not sure I can go through various other pointers in depth, but hopefully this will suffice for now!

all the best

Hi jampots
I`m pretty sure that it's a 3rd W Graellsii.

The bill is of a sub-ad, The mantle colour is right for graellsii (if you look carefully, there does appear to be an hint of brown),The legs are pink(which is right for 3rdY).

regards Roger.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back