• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Yesterday afternoon - 3:00 pm-4:00 pm Dormans Pool from the hide. Curlew Sandpiper x1, Little Stint x3, Little Egret x4 and Juvenile Peregrine flew through.

Three more Little Egret on Saltholme east pond. I couldn't see the Long-tailed Duck reported earlier.

The Kestrel shots are for the benefit of a couple of members I met who check out this thread and who were interested in the results of digiscoped shots v DSLR. The first one is an unprocessed digiscoped image - simply cropped and resized - with the bird on a post against the sky - the other two are from the DSLR - but distance of 35 yds was a bit too great for a 400mm lens even with converter.

Attachments

• DSCN4471c.JPG
    DSCN4471c.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8058a.JPG
    IMG_8058a.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8082ao.JPG
    IMG_8082ao.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 111
Teeside this afternoon 5 juv Little Stint ,3 Little Egret on Saltholm.Dormans 2 Juv Curlew Sandpiper and 210 PF Geese over heading south.Good numbers of duck at Teeside including lots of Teal and Wigeon.Also two PF Geese in with Greylags at Saltholm.

rokermartin said:
Teeside this afternoon 5 juv Little Stint ,3 Little Egret on Saltholm.Dormans 2 Juv Curlew Sandpiper and 210 PF Geese over heading south.Good numbers of duck at Teeside including lots of Teal and Wigeon.Also two PF Geese in with Greylags at Saltholm.
I was down there as well this afternoon and saw much the same. Marsh Harrier flew into Dormans Pool c.15:30 at the north end but didn't hang around for long. Three Little Egret on Dormans as well as the ones on Saltholme east. Half dozen Black-tailed Godwit as well. Also several Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe - young and adults.

Attachments

• IMG_8223ao.JPG
    IMG_8223ao.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8268ao.JPG
    IMG_8268ao.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8276aao.JPG
    IMG_8276aao.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8370ao.JPG
    IMG_8370ao.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8413ao.JPG
    IMG_8413ao.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 91
Rainton Meadows

Bit of a wader influx this afternoon.

1 juv Ringed Plover
1 juv Curlew Sandpiper (sixth site record- CW)
1 Green Sandpiper
1 juv Common Sandpiper
1 juv/1st winter Dunlin which had a huge long bill ( maybe alpina sub-species ? from Arctic ?? )
3 Snipe
1 Curlew
40 Lapwing
Also new in were 1M 3F Gadwall & 1F Shoveler

Hetton Lyons
singles of Ruff, Whinchat & 2 Yellow Wagtail

Houghton area
a family of Long-eared owls discovered in their quiet roost by a noisy gang of Magpies. Interestingly one or more of the juvs gave the food begging call during the incident.

StevieEvans said:
Bit of a wader influx this afternoon...1 juv/1st winter Dunlin which had a huge long bill ( maybe alpina sub-species ? from Arctic ?? )...

There are two races coming through on the coast at the moment too. Most are 'schinzii' (southern breeders) but there are a few 'alpina' too. They're bigger birds all round and the bill length can be approaching Curlew Sandpiper! Some of the adults still have the much brighter rufous scapulars too. Great to get one inland though.

We spent and interesting couple of hours at Low Barns this morning - interesting as we saw several species not seen for a long while.

We started off at West Pond where we sat from 9:30am-10:30am. Kingfisher were the main interest as they landed on the poles in front of the hide every 10-15 minutes, but never settled for very long. I thought it was the same bird at the time but on looking at the photos they're two different ones. They seemed to be spending their time flying round and round the pond 20-30 yds landing a while and moving on. The only times one fished were when it was in the far corner and when it landed on the sluice to the west of the hide. Other birds on the water were Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Tufted Duck and two Grey Heron. We had several fly-overs by a pair of Jays carrying what appeared to be acorns carrying them north-south into the trees by the river and the hide-on-the-hill. We also had a Hen Harrier slowly drift down the valley heading east - no wing tags visible.

As we followed the path by the wetland area a Great Spotted Woodpecker over-flew and landed on a telegraph pole at the same moment as a male Stonechat hopped onto the fence beside us and then along the hedges. Looking towards Marston lake another Jay was carrying acorns towards the river - likely one of the birds seen earlier taking a different route.

Once at the river I turned right and popped down to the river bank and in the process disturbed another Kingfisher - a juvenile this time. It flew downstream and I headed up to the ford where another Kingfisher was sat 50 yds upstream on the same side as me.

Heading back down river to the wattle screen on the right just before the South Hide I saw another two juvenile Kingfisher sat in the Willow bush c.15 yds away - unfortunately they saw me at the same moment and took off heading down river and then across the path in front of us - one actually flew along the path in front of us and the other through the trees towards the South Hide. When we reached the hied we could see one sat way over the other side on a pile of stones in the lake just left of the nest box on the pole. This has long been a favoured corner for Kingfishers. I'd guess it was using the stones as the bushes they used to land on have all been cleared. Other birds on the lake were Little Grebe, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted duck, Mallard, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Teal, Wigeon, Mute Swan.

We carried on around the lake not seeing much else. We stopped off at the screen hide where the Kingfishers were giving close views but there was nothing at all to see. Some short-sighted soul has removed one of the branches they used to land on - one of the local photographers I'd guess as it was a little too distant for anyhting less than a 500mm lens - but afforded good views to people just hoping for a sighting and was perhaps the best fishing perch.

Encouraging though that the trees were full of twittering birds - mainly Tits, Greenfinch and Goldfinch - on my last few visits the woods have been silent.

The Hawkers were pretty lacking today with only a few seen though plnty of Common Damsel around. Still quite a few butterflies around with Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Wood Brown, Small White and a first time for me this year at the location - Speckled Wood.

Attachments

• IMG_8098ao.JPG
    IMG_8098ao.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8140ao.JPG
    IMG_8140ao.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8158ao.JPG
    IMG_8158ao.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8165ao.JPG
    IMG_8165ao.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8181ao.JPG
    IMG_8181ao.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 104
whitburnmark said:
There are two races coming through on the coast at the moment too. Most are 'schinzii' (southern breeders) but there are a few 'alpina' too. They're bigger birds all round and the bill length can be approaching Curlew Sandpiper! Some of the adults still have the much brighter rufous scapulars too. Great to get one inland though.

Thanks for info. Wouldnt have given it a second thought elsewhere , but the usual lack of waders here, means they get a full (if only amateur)inspection ;)
It dwarfed the juv Ringed Plover & was certainly bulky & tall for a Dunlin.
I read in Collins that northern Ringed Plover are slightly smaller.... this may explain further the obvious size difference? Maybe these two came in from the same part of the world....?
SE

IanF said:
We spent and interesting couple of hours at Low Barns this morning - interesting as we saw several species not seen for a long while................................We had several fly-overs by a pair of Jays carrying what appeared to be acorns carrying them north-south into the trees by the river and the hide-on-the-hill. We also had a Hen Harrier slowly drift down the valley heading east - no wing tags visible........................
Encouraging though that the trees were full of twittering birds - mainly Tits, Greenfinch and Goldfinch - on my last few visits the woods have been silent.
The Hawkers were pretty lacking today with only a few seen though plnty of Common Damsel around. Still quite a few butterflies around with Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Wood Brown, Small White and a first time for me this year at the location - Speckled Wood.

Great report & images Ian. Sounds like an excellent trip out.
Bishop Middleham must certainly be looking over its shoulder now..... It Seems like Low Barns is marching on strongly to reclaim its former Number One Slot ;)
Steve

StevieEvans said:
Great report & images Ian. Sounds like an excellent trip out.
Bishop Middleham must certainly be looking over its shoulder now..... It Seems like Low Barns is marching on strongly to reclaim its former Number One Slot ;)
Steve
It's vastly better than it was 12 months ago with all the earth works and disturbance and seems to be well on the road to recovery. This winter will be the test though for me - to see what turns up and in what numbers.

For me Bishop Middleham and Low Barns go hand in hand - both well worth visiting and catering for some similar but some different species - whether summer or winter.

It would be nice for Rainton Meadows to perform in every season as well - maybe when the woodland is a bit more mature.

IanF said:
It's vastly better than it was 12 months ago with all the earth works and disturbance and seems to be well on the road to recovery. This winter will be the test though for me - to see what turns up and in what numbers.

For me Bishop Middleham and Low Barns go hand in hand - both well worth visiting and catering for some similar but some different species - whether summer or winter.

It would be nice for Rainton Meadows to perform in every season as well - maybe when the woodland is a bit more mature.
Agree, good to see Low Barns starting to recover, exciting developments planned for Bish Midd & even Rainton is starting to come good- with excellent potential there too.

2 Barn Owls & a Green Sand nr Hetton tonight.

Please erase this if its not up to standard?
My daughter who is nine is trying for her wildlife badge at Brownies One task was to record all the birds seen in the garden over a 15 min period. I have mentioned before that we are both novices but armed with our R.S.P.B. bins we set to work early sat. morning. I was amazed to record in a short space of time; blue tit, tree sparrow, wren, mistle thrush, green finch, gold finch, robbin, chaffinch, great spotted woodpecker (she tells me it was a male), skylark overhead then a kestral in the distance!
Great fun...and we may even join the club soon!

Another large raptor

After recent Honey Buzzard & Hen Harrier, today it was the turn of Osprey to drift through over Bishop Middleham this morning. (JO/SS)

Paul Mc said:
My daughter who is nine is trying for her wildlife badge at Brownies One task was to record all the birds seen in the garden over a 15 min period. I have mentioned before that we are both novices but armed with our R.S.P.B. bins we set to work early sat. morning. I was amazed to record in a short space of time; blue tit, tree sparrow, wren, mistle thrush, green finch, gold finch, robbin, chaffinch, great spotted woodpecker (she tells me it was a male), skylark overhead then a kestral in the distance!

Paul,
im sure most of us would swap gardens with you without hesitation ! (even if it were for only 15 mins ;-)
Have you got any feeders up ?
Steve

Last edited:
StevieEvans said:
After recent Honey Buzzard & Hen Harrier, today it was the turn of Osprey to drift through over Bishop Middleham this morning. (JO/SS)

Paul, im sure most of us would swap gardens with you without hesitation.

We have lots of feeders for peanuts & seed plus tables that we put a suet mix with insects. We also have a number of nesting boxes and over the winter I will be making more...if there are any hints re sizes etc.
I tawney is to be heard near us but I am yet to see it. Will keep trying.

Paul Mc said:
We also have a number of nesting boxes and over the winter I will be making more...if there are any hints re sizes etc.
I tawney is to be heard near us but I am yet to see it. Will keep trying.

rough guide for entrance hole sizes:-

25 mm for coal tits, marsh tits and blue tits
28 mm for great tits and tree sparrows
32 mm for nuthatches and house sparrows
A starling box needs to be 25-30% larger with an entrance 45 mm across

Or you could try to tempt the Tawny into the garden.....
http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factsheets/nestbox/tawnyowl.php

Steve

Paul Mc said:
Please erase this if its not up to standard?
Do you have to wear the uniform though ;)

That is a good collection of birds, I would love a Woodie to visit our garden. Hope your daughter passes her badge with flying colours, a future birdwatcher.

Brink of a disaster...?

Elsewhere on Birdforum and on the RSPB website, there's mention of large numbers of Guillemots apparently starving on the west coast of Scotland and in Northern Ireland. (see http://www.rspb.org.uk/action/guillemots.asp).
A short look at Sunderland harbour this afternoon produced at least 15 Guillemots well inside the harbour, some floating just a few feet off the beach front car park. Several seemed to be diving well and were quite active, but it seems unusual for this number to be so close when the weather hasn't even been rough out at sea. There was also 1 dead bird on Roker beach. Lets hope this isn't the start of a major Guillemot disaster.
And the government tell us that Sandeels have recovered enough for fishing to restart... :storm:

Attachments

• Guillemot.jpg
    Guillemot.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 84
kids and birding.

StevieEvans said:

Paul,
im sure most of us would swap gardens with you without hesitation ! (even if it were for only 15 mins ;-)
Steve
not sure if this gone to the right place! not good on the pc! great to hear about kids showing a interest! tried with my 2 but after 2 years ive give up a bit more interested in this pc! than seeing the bigger picture! but my parterners grandaughter loves nature often down thornley with her she's 7. hope to keep the interest..

Marmot said:
Do you have to wear the uniform though ;)

That is a good collection of birds, I would love a Woodie to visit our garden. Hope your daughter passes her badge with flying colours, a future birdwatcher.

Not into uniforms, lets not go there!
Over the last few years we have had regular visits from a GSW family both in the garden and in the farmyard. Sadly last year and again this year we had one fly into the window and die.
I should also add that our garden is pretty huge.
Thanks for the advice re the boxes, I intend to make several and sell at the school Christmas doo for school funds.
I am really inspired by this site, nervous as just a beginner but love my new hobby.

seggs said:
not sure if this gone to the right place! not good on the pc! great to hear about kids showing a interest! tried with my 2 but after 2 years ive give up a bit more interested in this pc! than seeing the bigger picture! but my parterners grandaughter loves nature often down thornley with her she's 7. hope to keep the interest..

Hi seggs, we helped the Durham Wildlife Trust with a sponsored birdwatch in South Tyneside this May & i was amazed at how keen the kids were & how long their attention lasted. Not too sure if its planned for this year too but the DWT & associated wildlife groups allways have loads on for the kids.
My boy is only 17 months - but he spots stuff already & points & laughs at the Jackdaws on the neighbours roof......
Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back