• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (7 Viewers)

Typical! went to Teesside the day BEFORE the Shrike turned up;)

Ttat final pick of the Spotted Redshank pair, was that the one with the collection of converters? -

scrubbed up quite cannyB :)

Typical Steve!

Really there weren't many migrants around. I heard there was also a Lapland Bunting and a Snow Bunting on the Headland though I didn't see them.

Yep! The Spotted Redshanks were taken with the stacked converters. IQ isn't brilliant espically in that light but it's better than without any.

Cleasby then Hartlepool Headland

Decided this morning to stay closer to home and had a walk around lakes at Cleasby and up the Tees. Saw Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe and Common Sandpiper, GS Woodpecker, 2 Kingfisher on river and Otter spraint on rock and tree roots towards Low Coniscliffe. Then a smashing Little Owl near entrance to Cleasby quarry.
Got home and checked reports only to see a Woodchat Shrike had been seen at Hartlepool, so quick dinner and out again it was very windy on the coast (fairly still inland) and light was poor but saw the Shrike and a Snow Bunting at the Bowling Green.

Attachments

• Little-Owl1.jpg
    Little-Owl1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 75
  • Little-Owl4.jpg
    Little-Owl4.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Woodchat-Shrike1.jpg
    Woodchat-Shrike1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Great-Crested-Grebes_edited.jpg
    Great-Crested-Grebes_edited.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 59
Colin

I am from the Darlington area and are new to birding. Where are the best access points for Cleasby and are there any other good viewing areas locally?

Thanks

Dinner at Bolams followed by a walk around Hardwick Hall to help to digest it ;).
Blue, Great, Coal and Mallow Tits, Green, Gold and Chaffinch, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie and a couple of Chiffchaff or Willow Warblers in the wooded area.

Up from Serpentine Bridge, Coot, Mallard, Moorhen and unmistakable flash of turquoise as a Kingfisher flew by.

On and around the big lake 5 species of Duck = Mallard,Tufted Duck, Pochard, Gadwall and Widgeon (first time I've seen Widgeon & Gadwall here:t:). Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe , a family of Pied Wagtails and finally lots of Gulls. Mostly Black Headed Gulls but also one or two that looked like Herring Gull and Common Gull.

Quarry Quarry

Reader - only ever had brief views of Brambling so the prospect of 28 at Marsden Quarry is appealling.

But how do I get in to the place? Can anyone assist me, please?

And will anyone be in the observatory at Whitburn early tomorrow?

Reader - only ever had brief views of Brambling so the prospect of 28 at Marsden Quarry is appealling.

I very much doubt the Bramblings will be there tomorrow.This time of year they usually move off quicky.Plenty of time to see Bramblings.

Marsden Quarry Is more or less directly West of Marsden Grotto, just off Lizard Lane.
Driving North along the coast road, just after marsden grotto, turn left at the small roundabout, short drive up the bank and turn left again onto Lizard Lane, continue South along the road until you reach a caravan site to your left. The quarry is opposite the caravan site.

Hope this helps.

Cleasby

Hi Hawklord
The way I got into Cleasby was down the quarry road between Stapleton and Cleasby on right hand side - it was gated but there was someone walking their dog down there so I just followed - there are anglers around the lakes and well worn paths. I don`t know of any other way.

Superb selection at Durham Bird Club's Castle Lake NR, Bishop Middleham today including;

Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Greylag Geese, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby, Grey Partridge, Moorhen, Coot, Golden Plover, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Little Stint, Dunlin, Snipe, Ruff, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Kingfisher, Woodpigeon, Swallow, Great-spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Stonechat, Wheatear, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Redwing, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Spotted Flycatcher, Long-tailed Tit, Willow Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Linnet, Bullfinch & Yellowhammer.

Phew! Not bad for inland Durham :t:

Superb selection at Durham Bird Club's Castle Lake NR, Bishop Middleham today including;

Little Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Greylag Geese, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Hobby, Grey Partridge, Moorhen, Coot, Golden Plover, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Little Stint, Dunlin, Snipe, Ruff, Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Kingfisher, Woodpigeon, Swallow, Great-spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Stonechat, Wheatear, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Redwing, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Spotted Flycatcher, Long-tailed Tit, Willow Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Linnet, Bullfinch & Yellowhammer.

Phew! Not bad for inland Durham :t:

thats nearly as long as my life list....

RSPB Saltholme - am - Good views of Water Rail on the Wildlife Watchpoint but little else. A Little Egret dropped in but only other birds present were a Little Grebe, a Redshank, and several Gadwall, Teal and Wigeon.

Main pool - Greenshank & Redshank in SE corner.

Saltholme Hide - Little Stint x1, Spotted Redshank x2, Little Gull x1, Golden Plover c.30, Redwing - several flights of 20-30 heading more or less west.

East Saltholme - BN Grebe still present.

Hartlepool Headland - pm - around Croft/Borough Hall gardens - Pied Flycatcher x2, Goldcrests 5-6, Redwing, Song Thrush, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcaps and a Barred Warbler.

Attachments

• IMG_2976a.jpg
    IMG_2976a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3181ao.jpg
    IMG_3181ao.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2741c.jpg
    IMG_2741c.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3538ao.jpg
    IMG_3538ao.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3614ao.jpg
    IMG_3614ao.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 139
Hartlepool/Teesside

Started at Hartlepool headland yesterday.
Checked the bowling green for the Woodchat Shrike, but groundsman was cutting the grass + nets were out around the green, only birds were 5 pied wagtail and a couple of meadow pipits.

Between the piers.
Bar-Tailed Godwit, ringed plover, knot, turnstone, redshank, curlew. G.C. grebe, eider, single guillemot, the usual gulls, cormorant etc and distant common scoter.

Croft area.
Managed to view and photograph the W. Shrike which was mainly in the park area, other birds included single redwing & song thrush.

Spent the last hour at Saltholme Bottom Tank.
Flock of canada geese, teal, wigeon, 2 little egret and 5 common snipe also merlin glided over the pond just before we left.

Attachments

• _MG_4175.jpg
    _MG_4175.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 92
  • _MG_4180.jpg
    _MG_4180.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 85
  • _MG_4268.jpg
    _MG_4268.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 93
  • _MG_4283.jpg
    _MG_4283.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 94
  • _MG_4418.jpg
    _MG_4418.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Few more from yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_4609.jpg
    _MG_4609.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 95
  • _MG_4668.jpg
    _MG_4668.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_5104.jpg
    _MG_5104.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 80
  • _MG_4704.jpg
    _MG_4704.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_5125.jpg
    _MG_5125.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 101
And a few of the Woodchat Shrike.
Watched It for a couple of hours as It fed, mainly on Bees.

Attachments

• _MG_4748.jpg
    _MG_4748.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 119
  • _MG_4813.jpg
    _MG_4813.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 148
  • _MG_4988.jpg
    _MG_4988.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 105
  • _MG_5048.jpg
    _MG_5048.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 146
  • _MG_5075.jpg
    _MG_5075.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 122
Derwent

Had a walk round Pow Hill Country Park and a sit in the hide at The Resevoir. Loads of small birds heard and seen very briefly and not enough to ID. However I did see half a dozen Goldcrests with a single Firecrest keeping just to the end of the main group. The Birds which were impossible to miss though were 2 Kestrels, 2 Red Kites, 1 Sparrowhawk. 9 Buzzards and a single Peregrine trying to take a gull from a flock for about ten minutes before giving up, then returning about half an hour later to go for the lapwings. This time succesfully.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back