• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: leica 8 x 20 BL Ultravid (1 Viewer)

surfoptik

This is my first review here, so please excuse my review if it is too long for a general post. That having been said, lets get started. I intend this to be a most exhaustive review of the new Leica 8 x 20 BL Ultravid binoculars. I have owned or utilized all of the big three binocs at this compact size, and in many instances, my review will compare across these brands. Please keep in mind these are my opinions and subjective rankings; they may differ entirely from someone else's...

The review will cover Fit and Finish, Mechanics, Optics, Presentation, and Summary.

Fit and Finish: First impression when you open the box containing the BL's - looking mighty fine! These binoculars feel absolutely sturdy, much more so than the S-brand pocket binoculars and the Z-brand as well. In fact, I much prefer metal construction than fiberglass, reinforced carbon, plastic by any other name blah. Im rather familiar with the use of carbon fiber in bicycles, and again, Im all for metal in my long-term tangible assets (whether high-class glass is an asset is for another post). Yeah carbon is rigid, stiff, whatever, but when you bust you a$$, the frame is gonna snap all nasty, whereas metal frames may just bend or dent. Anyway, lets continue. All the (p)leather seems in place, no obvious glue stains or smeared lubricants. As far as I know, these BL's come in any color you could want, as long as it is black. The black finish is the black chrome found on Leica M6's and M7's, while the leather is the leather found on those models as well. This is a significant distinction. If you have handled the earlier 8 x 20 trinovid bl's, or leica's excellent cm camera, then you know that the "leather" on these items is actually hard plastic with a leather like texture. It just looks like leather, without any other leather attributes. The Ultravid BL's leather is the softer, more rubbery leather with a more "leather-like feel". Step up from the plastic pleather. Still, don't know why they didn't just use real leather at this price point. Stenciled lettering for serial number, etc. is perfect. Even the red dot is centered well with no adhesive residue present. Overall 9.5 out of 10, 1/2 point subtraction for the pleather.

Mechanics: Perfect scores here. Perfect. The new diopter control design is the best Ive seen. I used to knock my S-brand bins out of diopter all the time with the little wheel in front and bigger wheel in back (front meaning closer). The rotating eyepiece style is better and good at holding the diopter setting, but results in another seam where water can enter binos..This system uses a pushbutton under the bridge. Only when the pushbutton is pressed will the diopter change. otherwise is locked fully. In addition, there are not indents, its continuous through the range of dipoter settings. Focus is fast and smooth, eyepieces rotate in and out with no sound or undue friction, and eyepieces slide in and out with slight twisting action. The bins are built like little miniature tanks. Put them up against any other brand at this size, and they are gonna win. Oh, and they are waterproof to 5m. Mechanics 10/10.

Optics: I currently own the 8 x 20 trinovids as well, and got the Ultravids as a replacement. I had a chance to compare them both. The trinovids are some absolutely fine binocs, but the ultravids win, hands down. The coatings on the lenses in the ultravids is obviously different. In the trinovids, the coatings seem to be on the green to yellow side. On the ultravids, yellow or blue shows up, with more of the latter, green is usually only seen if looking at the prism. They are brighter than the trinovids. they also seem to have a wider field of view, slightly. I dont know if this is true, but it seems that way. In many ways, looking through them reminds me of looking through the leica 8 x 32's. Sharpness? the best I have seen in this class. And i have seen a lot. Color? Right on the money. Exact.

Binocular people are typically very very picky people. Concerned with the most minute details. Just see some of the posts on here about microscopic flakes of goo on lens prisms and such. Almost too small to be seen. Yes, I can say I am not too different when it comes to optics myself. I am picky about my optics. I have traded up from Z-brand to S-brand to L-brand trying to find compact, do everything, take anywhere binocs. I can finally say, I don't feel a need to trade up anymore. the ultras are that good. Optics: 10/10

Presentation: Earlier leica stuff came in horrid white boxes with an instruction book and little else. not much for the money. These BL's however, surprised me. Not only do they come in a nicer box, but they arrive with a beautiful leather case, strap, and eyepiece covers. Yes eyepiece covers for the 8 x 20's. The strap is not much to talk about, but the eyepiece covers do attach to it. The leather case is remarkable. Opens like a clamshell and the binocs can slide in an out vertically, so they can be used on a belt. Way better than a zip-around nylon case. The leather case is a huge value-added bonus. As is a lifetime passport warranty. Lifetime. 15 years from know your bins get run over by a tractor? just send in the part with the serial number, as long as they are registered of course. 1 point off of presentation for not including a leather strap or objective covers, but still damn good! Presentation 9/10

Summary: Ive used them all, and hands down the new ultravids are the best out there. Im not trying to convince you of this, i dont work at leica, and Ive already bought mine. but if you are on the fence trying to decide which way to go with compact bins, you owe it to yourself to at least give the ultravids a looksee... My ranking order for current 8 x 20 bins: Ultravid #1, Trinovid #2, Z-brand #3, S-brand #4, N-brand #5.

Excellent detailed review! I have a pair of the Ultravid 8x20 BCRs, and I have to agree with your findings on this little jewel! Welcome to Bird Forum!

Last edited:
I have both the Trinovid 8x20 and the Ultravid 8x20, and find the Ultravid is much sharper at the edge and has less pincushion. The difference between the two is surprisingly large.

surfoptik said:
.. The leather case is remarkable.

I have the 10x25 BCR, and they are fully as great as what you say about your model. There is one difference, however: They come with a relatively bulky "plasticy" textile case. Guess it's OK if you want to carry the bins on your belt. But no good to tuck into the pocket of a jacket. Seems there is really an added bonus with the (p)leather version.

I also had the possibility to compare the various brand compacts, in fact I still own the 8x20 Trinovids, and I fully agree that the Leica Ultravids win by a large margin. Both by their optics and by the ergonomics.

Last edited:
Does the 10x25 BL come with a similar leather clamshell case?

I love the leather clamshell that comes with my 10x42 BL... absolutely incredible, and small. It makes carrying around a full size so easy.

Leica 10X25BL

xenophobe said:
Does the 10x25 BL come with a similar leather clamshell case?

I love the leather clamshell that comes with my 10x42 BL... absolutely incredible, and small. It makes carrying around a full size so easy.

I have the 10X25BL Ultravids which do come with the leather clamshell case which I never use as the bins are in almost constant use. A superb stunning set of bins.

Case pics and such

Not to go on too much with the benefits of the BL versus the BR, but i have attached a few jpegs of the case here. One thing of note is that there is an elastic strap inside the case which holds the two clamshell pieces together; when hanging vertically from a belt, it is impossible for the binocs to slide out when the case is open. The binocs must be removed vertically through the top..

In addition, ive posted jpegs of the diopter control button on the bridge, and the two little eyepiece covers that come with the binocs..

This is my first jpeg posting here...hope it works!

Attachments

• 2005-12-14_leicabins 001.JPG
    2005-12-14_leicabins 001.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 589
  • 2005-12-14_leicabins 003.JPG
    2005-12-14_leicabins 003.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 554
  • 2005-12-14_leicabins 008.JPG
    2005-12-14_leicabins 008.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 671
  • 2005-12-14_leicabins 009.JPG
    2005-12-14_leicabins 009.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 511
I have the 8x20br and agree that they are optically superb. Personally I prefered the feel in the hand of the BR over the BL, I also prefer the soft case (though admit that the clamshell case does look great).

Great detailed review - welcome to BF

postcardcv said:
I have the 8x20br and agree that they are optically superb. Personally I prefered the feel in the hand of the BR over the BL, I also prefer the soft case (though admit that the clamshell case does look great).

Great detailed review - welcome to BF

Well, this is the clamshell for my 10x42 BLs, which I think really makes their package the best. I don't think there is another full size with such a compact case... I took these for a Forum member who wanted to see what they looked like, and a size comparison between the Trinovid 50, Ultravid 42 and Zeiss 10x40b...

Attachments

• ultravid1.jpg
    ultravid1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 440
  • ultravid2.jpg
    ultravid2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 531
  • compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 588
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back