• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

I'll catch up on the total list in a day or so.

65 Great-spotted Woodpecker and 66 Black Redstart added today - spring is on the way.

41 over and 21 in the garden

Having been present ''outback'' since March 1st ( but not viewable from the house/garden)...it was much appreciated when they flew past this evening...no.56

That's 30 in and 26 out.

Attachments

• Mandarin's on the Ching March 3rd 2012.jpg
    Mandarin's on the Ching March 3rd 2012.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Having been present ''outback'' since March 1st ( but not viewable from the house/garden)...it was much appreciated when they flew past this evening...no.56

Cracking birds to get on a garden list!

A pair of Mandarin on a village pond near Epsom, Surrey at the age of 4 is one of my earliest bird memories. Not sure if they were really countable though ... ?!

Still in France, moi.

Been quiet still, dribs and drabs of Kite migration, nothing like the other day, but eg 10 or so Black and 2 Red Kites north today, including a couple low over the garden.

43) Serin
44) Grey Wagtail
45) Black Stork
46) Kestrel

Two Serin last week, forgot them last time I posted, with one today too. The Grey Wagtail came down to the pond briefly. Today was better - sitting outside over lunch, noticed the stork winging its way north overhead. Put in an hour or so in after that - a few of the Black Kites, Lapwings and small flocks of Chaffinch (10 - 30) regularly flying north, and the Kestrel also heading purposefully north.

Last edited:
Cracking birds to get on a garden list!

A pair of Mandarin on a village pond near Epsom, Surrey at the age of 4 is one of my earliest bird memories. Not sure if they were really countable though ... ?!

Perhaps not then c1937?.....but they are now ;)

Last week was officially the wettest week in Cairns so far this year. The torrential rain forced our resident Red-necked Crake out of hiding at the hospital and it could be seen feeding in the open courtyard most days.

Despite being off Saturday I added nothing new; but Sunday I was out just after dawn and delighted to see just over 30 Red-tailed Black Cockatoos go over heading north-east. I was beginning to think I'd never see them! I'm generally not a huge fan of parrots (a bit of a handicap in Aus...) but I love these birds. They are spectacularly huge and make a gentle crooning sound as they fly rather than the horrible screech of their Sulphur-crested rellies.

After an interesting morning at the Lakes which included good views of critically endangered Bare-rumped Sheath-tailed Bats roosting, I was rewarded with a pair of Magpie Geese seen from the study window in the afternoon. They are currently breeding on the Freshwater Lake and still have eight ginger-headed goslings. Magpie Geese have an odd set-up where three adults (one male and two females I think) raise the chicks. They originally had nine, so here's hoping most of the rest survive.

68) Red-tailed Black Cockatoo.
69) Magpie Goose.

55 for the year. Added Goosander on Sunday as a pair flew up river, other highlights an adult med and a male peregrine. Also quite nice breakfast time on sunday as 4 little egrets flew down river followed by a pair of Shelduck.

I spent a fair bit of time looking out the living room window hoping for one of the Glaucs or iceland gulls on the estuary to fly by. No luck for the house list but got them both on my Teifi list.

I've decided that in order to give me a chance of keeping up with Jane, Chowchilla's and Rob's list

I'm going to include all the houses that I'll be living in this year so that's my mates house on the Teifi, my house in Newport and my house in Turkey (2 weeks in July and 3 weeks Sept-Oct).

Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
I've decided that in order to give me a chance of keeping up with Jane, Chowchilla's and Rob's list

I'm going to include all the houses that I'll be living in this year so that's my mates house on the Teifi, my house in Newport and my house in Turkey (2 weeks in July and 3 weeks Sept-Oct).

Seems fair to me.

No it's not!;)

55 for the year. Added Goosander on Sunday as a pair flew up river, other highlights an adult med and a male peregrine. Also quite nice breakfast time on sunday as 4 little egrets flew down river followed by a pair of Shelduck.

I spent a fair bit of time looking out the living room window hoping for one of the Glaucs or iceland gulls on the estuary to fly by. No luck for the house list but got them both on my Teifi list.

Seems fair to me.

To be fair that's probably the only way you will get anywhere near their totals.

CB

To be fair that's probably the only way you will get anywhere near their totals.

CB
I still doubt I'll make more than about 100. Some birds I normally have to wait until winter for have already shown themselves, plus I won't get a rush of species around migration time, though I will get a few things.

Anyway, it isn't a race...;)

Bit out of date, so a few additions to my lists...

Vilnius

18. Mallard
20. Willow Tit

Labanoras.

Accidental double counting of Redpoll earlier, so down one, but up seven. Best Grey-headed Woodpecker (7th woodpecker of the year) and Coal tit (first for several years at my feeders).

20. Grey-headed Woodpecker
21. Raven
22. Siskin
23. Coal Tit
24. Common Buzzard
25. Long-tailed Tit
26. Treecreeper

Woodpecker close ups, first two from my bedroom window, third my star still present. ...

Attachments

• Great Spotted Woodpecker lab 5.jpg
    Great Spotted Woodpecker lab 5.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker lab 6.jpg
    Great Spotted Woodpecker lab 6.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Three-toed Woodpecker lab 5.jpg
    Three-toed Woodpecker lab 5.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back