• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is this worth it (1 Viewer)

Hi,

IMO that is rather overpriced for an older non ED scope, check out the LCE or Cley Spy websites, dependant upon your budget they usually stock a range of kit. Cley Spy are particularly helpful and if you ring them I'm sure they'd be able to find the best scope for your needs and budget. I would say that a fair price for that Opticron would be £180 tops.

Not even...You can buy celestron Ultimas ED for 250 pounds ,NEW,and for 300 pounds you can buy current chinese ED models that are gonna be as good in build quality and better optically than the old opticron imaginc..I had the old Geoma ED ,same scope different brand,and it was a good scope,but 300 pounds for the non ed version is WAY too much..
for that much you can get a Kowa TSN3 and rock!!!!

Hi whizzer, my first (and so far only) scope was a pre-used Opticron HR66 with an 18x54 zoom lens. I think it is an excellent scope. However, my point is, I went to a good optics supplier (Focus Optics Nr Coventry) and told them what I wanted and my budget and they let me look through all of their 2nd hand stock that met my requirements. I and my wife must have looked through a dozen scopes but this one stood out for both of us and that's how I knew it was the one to buy. It was neither the cheapest nor dearest of the scopes I looked at. If you can, try and visit an optics supplier and do what I did that way hopefully you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back