• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monties Harrier - educational question - France (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
This attractive Monties Harrier flew over the Soulor. There is no boa to speak of although quite a lot of white forming a chin strap - I can't really find reference to this.

In some of the pictures there doesn't seem to be a frame around the primaries - third fourth and fifth (although latter two only right wing).

There does seem to be a dark 'boomerang' around carpal area. I can't seem to find this on google images for juv monties.

There doesn't seem to be any streaking on the flanks. should I be able to see these at this range.

The barring is irregular. A bit of a gap in fact - am i looking at an older bird.

As stated this is more educational - which features take 'preference' when id'ing bird. As usual i'm expecting this to be a 'classic' bird but want to understand them more....

Attachments

• IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0560 (2).JPG
    IMG_0560 (2).JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0555 (3).JPG
    IMG_0555 (3).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0556 (2).JPG
    IMG_0556 (2).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 108
I think this must be a 1cy Montague's. For this species the very dark secondaries are is possible only in this plumage I think. Primary pattern looks fine for Monty and e.g. a lot of black at the tips of outer ones is not good for Pallid (of which there currently are high numbers in southern Scandinavia)

First age them:
Orange tinged body without any streaking and dark secondaries : juvenile
Streaked body and more or less heavily marked axillaries : adult
So this is a juvenile so you check wings and head pattern
Head pattern for Monty: lots of white around eyes, ill defined collar and no boa, collar never joining below (always in Pallid, sometimes less boa)
Fingers all dark good for Monty but much overlap, tips of inner primaries good point but sometimes difficult to assess
Never look at one feature and if so collar joining below probsbly best

Added a line to this

I was looking at this boomerang. Is this supposed to be a black boomerang or a solid white boomerang around the carpal - which it isn't in this...

Attachments

• IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    IMG_0557 (2).JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 65
another line - the white seems to form a chin strap so meets underneath

re tconzemi
(always in Pallid, sometimes less boa)

Attachments

• IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    IMG_0558 (2).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 57
another line - the white seems to form a chin strap so meets underneath

re tconzemi
(always in Pallid, sometimes less boa)

Nope, that's an artefact, but there is a lot of white in the face
In Pallid it would be a clear collar running all around with a boa behind and a dark chin strap reachibg the bill

I always thought this was juv but the barring in the primaries isn't consistent - like a hole...

Barring in primaries is extremely variable, but very typical wing shape with bulging secondaries all with fresh white tips, very diagnostic in almost all raptors

A paler version of one of the pic showing pattern a little better. Also notice the longer outermost p10 as apposed to shorter in Pallid, not always easy to judge in photos due to varies angles. In MH it falls roughly in line with p6, while in PH roughly with p5.

Attachments

• PSX_20150909_064554.jpg
    PSX_20150909_064554.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 78
Brilliant explanations - getting close to these birds is not an everyday occurance here....

Thank you KGS Tconzemi and JANJ. Sometimes reading guide books isn't enough (and yes I did read Forsman) you need to speak to the experts to get a clearer picture!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back