• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

or birds seen from the couch ..... lazy birding ;)
just dropped in

Ditto...I don't quite understand the strategy?...advertising one's presence can't be good for customers! Perhaps already replete?..and ''giving it the large''.....?

Attachments

• The sharpened garden feeder Sprawk 6th Jan. looking left again. jpg.jpg
    The sharpened garden feeder Sprawk 6th Jan. looking left again. jpg.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 54
  • The sharpened garden feeder Sprawk 6th Jan. moving right.jpg
    The sharpened garden feeder Sprawk 6th Jan. moving right.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
Ditto...I don't quite understand the strategy?...advertising one's presence can't be good for customers! Perhaps already replete?..and ''giving it the large''.....?

:-O

Super shots Ken, what my image doesnt show is the Squirrel about 5 yards away on one of the feeders motionless... it didnt even blink for virtually a minute before creeping off. Good job it wasnt a female sprawk as it may have made lunch

Last edited:
:-O

Super shots Ken, what my image doesnt show is the Squirrel about 5 yards away on one of the feeders motionless... it didnt even blink for virtually a minute before creeping off. Good job it wasnt a female sprawk as it may have made lunch

Cheers..(Your shot was pretty mean too!. presumably was taken through the glass?). Have there been..any records of Squirrel predation by female Sprawk, the largest prey item..downed and pinned to the ground that I've witnessed..Is fem.Sprawk astride a Magpie..which might compare weight-wise to carolinensis?

That's a young Great Spot...that you shot in June..;)

Seriously...you've opened up a potentially interesting thread there Jos!
Birds seen from one's bed.....I've had male Sprawk in one open window across the centre fixed pane and out the other open window whilst in pursuit of a Blue Tit.(with me under the covers). Also Hobby, Hawfinch and Goshawk from the horizontal...needless to say I hit the vertical instantaneously on each occasion! :t:

I've seen 94 species from bed - this being the best

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18382

Though that photo was from the kitchen

Dawn saw me standing out front waiting for a lift to Crystal Cascades with well-known local birder John Seale to look for Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers. Whilst I stood there, surrounded by twittering Fairy Gerygones, a much higher pitched trill sounded from the dense undergrowth lining the stream that runs alongside the apartments. This was unmistakeably Fairy Wrens and only one species occurs here in rainforest. A bit of a surprise, but then I do see them fairly often at the Lakes and up on the Blue Arrow track. Unfortunately They'd stopped calling by the time John had arrived.

Btw we heard the Kingfishers but didn't see them. Now that would be a great addition to the Garden list...

65) Lovely Fairy Wren.

With the departure of the Redwings/Fieldfares this week..''Air Traffic'' has been reduced by c90%. Just three of the former seen this am, however LTTit (first time on the peanut feeder this year), plus a North flying RRParakeet..a starburst of lime green out of the wild blue yonder...kinda got the morning off to a good start...then no.55 duly appeared (think my 5th ever?) Mute Swan labouring over the canopy towards the house before disappearing over the roof.

With the departure of the Redwings/Fieldfares this week...

Yep, I've noticed that too, not seen either for a week. But there is plenty going on and a new one this morning:

48) Chiffchaff singing!

Two Yellowhammers under the garden feeders, Buzzards and Sparrowhawks displaying, LT tits pairing up and Robins nesting in the hedge already.

Yep, I've noticed that too, not seen either for a week. But there is plenty going on and a new one this morning:

48) Chiffchaff singing!

Two Yellowhammers under the garden feeders, Buzzards and Sparrowhawks displaying, LT tits pairing up and Robins nesting in the hedge already.
Stop it Joanne, you're making me homesick.;)

48) Chiffchaff singing!

Yes I've had Sprawk displaying....but your singing CC...would be early in my neck of the woods, will have to wait perhaps another 4 weeks for mine.

19. Greater White-fronted Goose (a couple of hundred flying over in single file. A bit unusual as the flock usually flies in a some random flock of multiply "V" formations!)

...but your singing CC...would be early in my neck of the woods, will have to wait perhaps another 4 weeks for mine.

Very early here too, undoubtedly an overwintering one and probably the bright morning sunshine got him going.

your singing CC...would be early in my neck of the woods.

It would be a suicidal Chiffchaff in my neck of the woods :-O

Warmed up today, only minus 4 in the early afteroon, but the blue skies of the past few weeks now replaced by constant snow since midday. Now about to depart to my house ...I am expecteding an interesting drive!

A couple of additions to my lists, will update tomorrow.

I decided to scan the distant trees visible from my study for the first time in a couple of weeks and was instantly rewarded with a Dollarbird in exactly the same tree I had a suspected one a few weeks ago.

It flew out of the tree after a few minutes revealing the blue 'dollars' in its wings to dispel any doubt in my mind. The light and visibility rapidly deteriorated thereafter as the rain and squally wind returned followed by dusk.

I've noticed an increase in migratory movements over the last week; Pied Imperial Pigeons are rapidly decreasing in numbers; Buff-Breasted Paradise Kingfishers are getting harder to find; Black-faced Monarchs and the aforementioned Dollarbird are passing through and I swear I heard a Yellow-breasted Boatbill from the boardwalk a few days ago. The composition of Waders on the 'Nade is changing and Bar-tailed Godwits and Great Knots are colouring up nicely. Still some obvious birds missing however...

66) Dollarbird.

39 - Teal
40 - Black Tailed Godwit
41 - Peregrine

Scoping the area of trees behind which the river wyre is (about 1km from my window) is paying off at the moment, the Peregrine flew over my house then proceeded to this area where it gave great views stooping and chasing Lapwings for the nest 20 minutes, and flushing up Teal and Black Tailed Godwit into view in the process o:D

I still haven't seen the yellowthroat despite it being less than a mile from my house.

I added grey plover, dunlin, red kite, snow and greylag goose to the (my mates) house list overlooking the Teifi earlier this month. I've been seeing regular Red Kite and a couple of sightings of a fishing Dog Otter over the last couple of weeks.

I'll work out this years list once I get a minute and if there is a sipmple guide to uploading a photo somewhere I'll post the view out of the windows.

There are nearly always Teal, Redshank, Curlew, oystercatcher and little egret in view just across the road past the pub on the estuary.

I've just realised that the house and view is on Google Maps.

Put in St Dogmaels, find the Ferry Inn, put the street view icon in front of the pub. My mate's house is the green one just up the bank. There is a view of the estuary just to the right of the pub and if you go down the road about 200 yards a picnic area overlooking the estuary. There is a gull/wader/duck high tide roost to the left of this.

For a patch watcher like me it's a dream location.

The Teifi marshes are a couple of miles up the road, there is a riverside walk up to the local shop, poppit sands/dunes and farmland a mile or so down the road and Cemaes Head a few miles further on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back