• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend Ultra 10x36 and 8x36 (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I now have the 10x36. It seems very similar to the 10x42. If compactness or less weight is sought, this may be for you.

Field of View 341 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 15.4 mm
Close Focus 6.2 feet
Weight 20.6 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 4.9 x 4.75 inches

The 8x36 has the same except
Field of View 426 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 15.4 mm

So there you are. Those that value compactness will be happy. Otherwise, the 42mm versions may be preferred.

Will not have much more to add for a few weeks. I will take it out of town once. The 10x36 on left.

Attachments

• legend1036.jpg
    legend1036.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Well, it is poor, I have no special glasses. With most 10x42 and 8x42 pairs I can see like 80% of the view. Here it is still usable, but definitely less field than the 10x42.

On paper it may be the same 15mm, but I think it has to do with the way the view gets worse toward the edges, more obvious at 36mm. Hard to explain, I am not talking sweet spot here.

Last edited:
One would expect the ER in the 10x 36mm bins to be less than the 8x and less than the 10x42 too as the focal length of the EP will be shorter as the FL of the objective will be shorter so the ER goes down for the same design.

Given that the ER is "identical" in the specs for 8x36 and 10x36 it could be that Bushnell have a typo or a "copy and pasto" in the specs if they copied the 8x36 specs and then changed them. I've seen Bushnell (and other manufacturers) making this error in the past.

The ultimate answer is to measure the ER with a micrometer and piece of card. Even without an accurate number you could check to see if it's clearly shorter than the 42mm.

On the other hand, with all these Ultra models, 8x and 10x, you have to all figure out your ideal eye relief. The 8x36 may be better for many than the 8x42. I have the 8x42 and it works fine with me, but I do not hold it that close to the eyes.

Bushnell has also continued the $50 rebate on the Legend Ultra HD's that originally ended on 8/15. It is now extended thru the end of the year. I bought a new pair of 8x36's on ebay last week for $165 and with the rebate it brings my cost down to $115.o:)

I previously have had 2 pairs of the 8x42's and 1 pair of the 10x36's. The 10x36 weren't any better than my 10 x42 ZRS HD's and were too similar, so I got rid of them, and found the 8x36's. I have done some quick comparisons to Bushnell 8x36 Custom Audubon porros and my 8x36 Excursion EX's, and like the new 8x36 Legend Ultra HD's the best. Probably the best all round small mid priced bino. Only problem is the camo color.

I went to have a look at some ultra HDs today in London. The guy told me that the 8x36s wouldn't be in until the new year as they are a new model. The cheapest I can get them in the UK is £199 (we don't get the rebate over here I believe). At the current exchange rate that is £120 difference. Even at a dollar a pound you still get a much better deal. It's not just on bins either, kinda gets my goat.

Anyway, checked out the 8x42 instead. Liked them alot, however there was some blurring around the edges (is this usual at this price range?). Anyway these were well over my budget at £259.

It is not actually blurring but blackouts around the edges of the 8x42. It has too much eye relief, ideal for using with glasses on.

You just need to adjust the ipd properly and not bring them all the way to the eye. I rest them at the top of my eye socket. I have such sunken eyes that it works.

Using the 10x36, I noticed that the focus knob has a loose cover. Inside is a another focus wheel, smooth. The outer one with the grooves just slides on, it may be glued or otherwise attached in some models. With gentle force, I cannot get the outer focus knob to lside off in the 42mm models. The wheel is the same diameter in both, but a smaller knob in the 10x36. If it falls off, I can still use it, but I will try some rubber cement. This is poor, but if the eye cups start acting up, then that is real sign of cheapness.

I think it slid off in cold weather as the two knobs are not of the same material, or the rubbery layer contracted.

I did get more glare with he 10x36 in setting sun than I am used to. I used it for football watching.

Last edited:
Bushnell are hit and miss, but they really are no worse than the rest in the under 300 level. Probably my best 8x optics are a Bushnell 8x42 porro pair. My next best optics are the Promaster...Zenlike..10x42.

When you go over 300 dollars, I do not try the Bushnells, there are other brands out there.

But, I will travel with the 10x36 this winter, as much as I leave town.

Tero:
It does not lend confidence when I hear a report like this one.
Jerry
My experience...some 20 pairs...is that all brands get cheap with the external parts, even if they get the optics right in under 300 dollar binoculars. Once I had a pair of Meade roofs, 10x42, for 30 dollars on some sale. Surprisingly good optics, but the eye cups fell apart the second time out.

So you can go for Monarchs, with the somewhat improved eye cups and get 5-10 years out of them, or for 250-350 get Chinese ED, where we have little data, but I have had the Promaster eye cup "repaired". They sent me a new pair on my old strap.

So enjoy your optics folks, but bring a spare along.

My experience...some 20 pairs...is that all brands get cheap with the external parts, even if they get the optics right in under 300 dollar binoculars. Once I had a pair of Meade roofs, 10x42, for 30 dollars on some sale. Surprisingly good optics, but the eye cups fell apart the second time out.

So you can go for Monarchs, with the somewhat improved eye cups and get 5-10 years out of them, or for 250-350 get Chinese ED, where we have little data, but I have had the Promaster eye cup "repaired". They sent me a new pair on my old strap.

So enjoy your optics folks, but bring a spare along.

With possibly the single exception of the Vortex Diamondbacks.

Bob

Here is the plastic focus wheel outside piece, comes off when I put it in the freezer. I then put a piece of double sided tape around the inner wheel. Back in the freezer, then squeezed the loose outer part on while inner was cold. I hope it does not crack in hot weather.

Attachments

• bino2.jpg
    bino2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 233
  • bino1.jpg
    bino1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 275
Here is the plastic focus wheel outside piece, comes off when I put it in the freezer. I then put a piece of double sided tape around the inner wheel. Back in the freezer, then squeezed the loose outer part on while inner was cold. I hope it does not crack in hot weather.

Tero!

In the Freezer!?! A Binocular?

Surely this was supposed to be part of your humor blog! Right?

Although, at that, it might be a better remedy for a black eye than a beefsteak!:-O

Bob

No, the problem is with cold, so to get the loose ring off, I had to put it in the freezer. It was what I found at -10C in Finland, outdoors.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back