• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Added a few flowers to garden to attract them, and... (1 Viewer)

Kevin2

...I've seen a few hummingbirds in my garden over the years, but not often. However, I added 3 Wine and Roses, several perrenials this spring, took special care to feed my other flowering shrubs last fall so they'd flower up real nice this spring, and presto Hummingbird heaven this month. Had 2 inside an hour spend a few minutes visiting all the gardens flowers while talking on the phone to an old friend. Actually lost track of the conversation while keeping track of the hummingbird!

WHat late blooming flowers do you have in your garden that attract the hummingbirds? I have a few more spots left that I could add them in yet!

Kevin

Last edited:
Hi, Kevin! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Unfortunately, I don't have any flowers in my yard (it's native forest), but I understand penstemon are a fave of these little jewels. Or any tubular flower, for that matter. :t:

Katy, well that is funny, because I put 2 penstemon types in my garden this spring. I was surprised when the hummers warmed up to them the other day. I added them for their shape, size, and color. I just got the flower type for Hummingbirds by accident!

Kevin

Well, I added a few more flowers today, just for fun. Got another Weigela, a Hummingbird Mint, and one more pestemon. Now I have to plant them! Bummer...

Kevin2 said:
Well, I added a few more flowers today, just for fun. Got another Weigela, a Hummingbird Mint, and one more pestemon. Now I have to plant them! Bummer...

The flowers they love in my garden are two Hot Lips salvias, a Purple Majesty Salvia, a smattering a red daylillies and a trellis of blue Morning Glories.

Kevin - Try things like fuchsia in hanging pots, or upright fuchsia, and other annuals like red salvia. These plants are good all season. My hummers are also happy in late summer with perennials like red or blue lobelia and turtleheads, also honeysuckle vines which blossom more than once a season. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back