• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull pic off the web (1 Viewer)

This gull is posted on an open-access (copyright-free) site, identified as a California Gull, which it pretty obviously isn't.

I reckon it is either Western Gull, or Yellow-footed Gull; subadult.

But which? What do others think?

Michael

Attachments

• Californiangullimm.jpg
    Californiangullimm.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 155
Hi Michael,
The tail pattern reminds me of that shown by Black-tailed Gull,and perhaps it's a subadult of that species?Certainly has the 'feel' of a smaller gull than Western or Yellow-footed.
Harry

Hi Harry,

Interesting thought; but the pic is from the US, and I suspect from California; and Black-tailed Gull would be a major rarity there.

The site I got the above off had copied it from another free access site (US Fish & Wildlife Service), with a lot of reduction in quality, here's the original I've succeeded in finding:
http://dls.fws.gov/DATA/files/629F1CFF-8B13-484D-8415B5B2F9EE19F6.jpg

And the site it is on with the name of the photographer (but not the exact location, sadly!):
http://images.fws.gov/default.cfm?fuseaction=records.display&CFID=4250350&CFTOKEN=33998255&id=C0434A5E%2DABEB%2D4B2D%2DBE271FDED6C934F1

Michael

I was also thinking of blacktailed gull, but as I have seen none of those species mentioned here in life, I am not sure... but it seems the better fit to me

I think the first thing we need to do on this is to age it. In the new picture it looks from the wing pattern to be not too far off an adult but it's still really dark on the head and breast, which is unusual for most subadult gulls. Having looked through Sibley, I'll confess to not having a clue, although it doesn't show a very wide range of subadult plumages in most gulls.

Hi all,
Another thought:the tail pattern of this bird seems wrong for Black-tailed:that species seems to show white outer tail feathers,whereas the black tail of this bird is comprised of each feather having black tips.
Harry

Hi Harry,

Good find - odd, that pic didn't come up on my google image search. But I think that, with Joern's point, satisfies me it is Heermann's

I'd agree subadult, maybe second summer.

Michael

Pictures of Heermans Gull

Maybe this pictures of Heermans Gull taken at California last year may help you a little bit more.

Alejandro

Attachments

• SanFrancisco4.jpg
    SanFrancisco4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 99
  • SanFrancisco5.jpg
    SanFrancisco5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back