• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix LX5 setup (1 Viewer)

OCL

Is the best tube add.length still 23mm, with 46 and 52 mm in the ends ?
and do i best get this tube made? Camera store shop ....Black smith:-O
Pre Thanks Christian

I am still trying to get my LX5 set up via DCA and swarovski 65. I have ordered the offical Lumix extender which is being brought out to me in December. Today I found a no name tube 46/52 that fits but there is massive vignetting , it is too long. I can't see how I can shorten it and turn another thread. So frustrating. Anyone?

Is the best tube add.length still 23mm, with 46 and 52 mm in the ends ?
and do i best get this tube made? Camera store shop ....Black smith:-O
Pre Thanks Christian

Best solution for the Swaro DCA is the Vortex PS100 with 52mm plate.
Neil

I am having difficulty finding any kind of adapter like the Vortex PS100. There are some celestron adapters and other vortex types on Amazon but they won't deliver to Thailand and I would like to try them out first- I am not sure they will work.

I really don't want to give up because I am sure the solution is not too far away and the LX5 is a cracker. However, I have almost bought the Canon 300mm L f/4 on three occasions. Payday tomorrow, I am not sure I can hold out much longer for an LX5 solution.

Hi,

It seems the DCA-PS-100 is not available outside the US. Are there any alternatives that would allow me to attach my Lumix LX-5 to my DCA adapter without running the risk of ridiculous vignetting?

Regards
Tristan

Hi,

It seems the DCA-PS-100 is not available outside the US. Are there any alternatives that would allow me to attach my Lumix LX-5 to my DCA adapter without running the risk of ridiculous vignetting?

Regards
Tristan

Tristan, I don't know the LX-5 personally, but this is my solution to connecting a camera without lens threads (Canon S95) to the DCA via the camera's tripod mount (see post 28).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=189535&page=2

It works very well for the S95, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for other point and shoot cameras, so long as the camera's lens diameter isn't too wide. The adapter links in post 29 of that thread are still 'live' and I suspect that other similar products are still available on the net that might work just as well.

Steve

Last edited:
Tristan et all, despite being good compacts both the LX3/LX5 are not very popular here due to their digiscoping un-friendly lenses. To get the most out of this camera you need a variable adapter that would allow you adjust the distance between lens and eyepiece on the fly as you zoom the lens. Otherwise you will get vignetting at all focal lengths except ~50mm effective. This adapter would need to be custom made.

Binocularface, looks like we are in the same boat. Never mind it is a great camera to have in my pocket. I will probably treat myself (again) to a S95 for Christmas, and try to get hold of adapters for that. I am looking at the digiscoping project as a long term one. It is so hard to get adapters etc here in Thailand.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back