• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Katmai or Goldring? (1 Viewer)

seaward

Hello all!

I am looking for a new set of Binoculars and was wondering if I could get some help to determine what kind I should go for. I want to purchase one pair and want to do it right the first time!

Requirements
*lifetime warrantee
*waterproof
*bump resistant
*overall great quality
*small enough to not be too much of a hindrance in my backpack

I was looking at the Leupold’s and wanted to know if the costs between these models are worth the difference.. Specifically, I was looking at the 8x32 models.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Seaward

I tried the 8x32 Katmais and wasn't impressed. I haven't tried the Gold Rings -- so I can't compare.

Any reason for wanting Leupolds? Are there any other brands you might be interested in? Because there are other binoculars that are in between the quality of the Katmais and the Gold Rings. And there are other binoculars about the same price as the Gold Rings that you might like better. Try before you buy is best -- unless you buy from someone online who will let you return them for a full refund.

I have some of their scopes and was happy with them but I am the first to admit I know nothing about bionoculars! Also they have the warrantee
I am looking for.. :clap:

trashbird said:
I tried the 8x32 Katmais and wasn't impressed. I haven't tried the Gold Rings -- so I can't compare.

Any reason for wanting Leupolds? Are there any other brands you might be interested in? Because there are other binoculars that are in between the quality of the Katmais and the Gold Rings. And there are other binoculars about the same price as the Gold Rings that you might like better. Try before you buy is best -- unless you buy from someone online who will let you return them for a full refund.

seaward said:
I have some of their scopes and was happy with them but I am the first to admit I know nothing about bionoculars! Also they have the warrantee
I am looking for.. :clap:

I wouldn't worry too much about their quality. I just purchased their new 6 x 30 Yosemite Porro Prisms. They cost under $100.00 and are designed to be used by the whole family, including young children. With that goal in mind I can state that they are a superb binocular! Outstanding construction and optics, very bright, rugged, waterproof.

If they follow through with this on their more expensive varieties you have nothing to worry about.
Bob

I also, briefly, owned a pair of the Katmais. Handling and brightness were the two points I seem to remember most about them. Their diminuitive size made them a perfect blend of compactness and image quality. They looked brighter than I expected them to be. However, the disappointing factor was the resolution. It just wasn't fine enough for my tastes. At the time though they were using Bk-7 prisms and were not phase coating the roof prisms inside them. I believe the latter has changed but I have not had the chance to look through the upgraded models.

In that price range I would also consider the Pentax DCF-XP 8x33 and DCF-SP 8x32. Better optically and only slightly larger physically.

Katmais quality?

undefined
seaward said:
Hello all!

HI,
I briefly looked through a pair of the Katmai 8x32 roofs this weekend. I thought they were pretty impressive optically but I unfortunately didn't pay a lot of attention to them because I was pretty focused on how the Zeiss 8x32 were standing up against my current of 8x42 trinovid Leicas. Later on after having left the shop some of my impressions of the various binoculars began to gel and solidify. At this point I began to wish I had spent more time looking through the Katmais. One thing I can say is that they definitely are a small lightweight package. So if size and weight are primary concerns then this pair should be given serious consideration. One drawback I noticed was that the strap lugs were placed awkwardly. I can't say how much an issue this might actually be since none of the bins I looked at had straps attached to them. Why is that???? I find it rather frustrating that when shoping for bins none of the vendors seem very keen on allowing one to see how the bins feel with straps attached. I can't really get a complete sense of the feel of the bins unless I get to compare how they hang so to speak....
There are some light 8x42s out there that might be worth looking at...the Nikon Monarchs, Stokes, Pentax... etc...
Other small 8x32s include the Minox, Leica, ... though I am not so sure about the Minox... it has been a while since I have seen one. ..
good luck

am looking for a new set of Binoculars and was wondering if I could get some help to determine what kind I should go for. I want to purchase one pair and want to do it right the first time!

Requirements
*lifetime warrantee
*waterproof
*bump resistant
*overall great quality
*small enough to not be too much of a hindrance in my backpack

I was looking at the Leupold’s and wanted to know if the costs between these models are worth the difference.. Specifically, I was looking at the 8x32 models.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Seaward

Update! I traded in my Katmais and purchased the Golden rings 10x32.. I had not planned on it but after trying the Golden rings I was so impressed I had to have them... I still like the Katmais very much and will never knock them but the Golden rings are the best I have ever seen!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back