• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photographing birds in flight (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi Guys, When Im shooting a single bird In flight I use the centre focusing point & AI SERVO, can anyone please tell me If this Is ok, also If I see 5 or 6 birds flying together & I want them all In focus how would I set my camera up for this. Camera Is a 40D with canon 100-400mm L lens... Thanks all.

Sean.

As far as capturing a group of birds in flight, there are two things you can do. In the first place, and I know there is disagreement in the forum, shoot shutter speed priority. Make sure you have a high enough speed to avoid blurring of the subjects caused by motion. Your focus method is correct, again, in my opinion. You ideally would like all the birds to be in the same film plane. In other words, each bird not in increasing distance from the sensor. If this is the case, a wider aperture would do. If not in the same film plane you would need to increase your f-stop (depth of field). In shutter-speed priority you can do this by increasing the ISO, but the down side is the higher the ISO, the greater the noise (or graininess of the image). There is a point where the distance between the birds (front to back) is too great and impossible to get all of them in focus. Bright lighting conditions can make things a lot easier, and it is quite possible to shoot 1/1600sec, F16, at ISO 400. As far as focusing the group, you need to pick a single bird, usually the closest is easiest. Technically (though near impossible to do) focus on one in the middle distance from the sensor which might allow ones in front and behind to be in focus. From a compositional point of view, all birds being in the same film plane is much better than a number of the same type of birds all in focus, but appearing to be different sizes due to different distances from the sensor. Also compositionally it can be advantageous to have a single bird as a focal point of the photo, and as long as it is in sharp focus, the other birds can be out of focus, and the degree they are out of focus would indicate how far they are from the viewer. Hope this helps~onlybill

I have included an image of flock of birds on the same focal plane. 300mm F5.6, ISO 100, 1/1600sec, shutter speed priority, center weighted metering

Attachments

• Group_Birds1.jpg
    Group_Birds1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
HI onlybill, thanks for your comments. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Youve explained It to me brilliantly. Excellent pic. I shall post a pic a.s.a.p. Thanks again Onlybill

Sean..

I dont want to confuse things for you Canonman but I would go with Aperture priority everytime.You say you want to shoot a couple of birds in flight and get them all in focus.The only way to acheive this is by using a smaller aperture for a greater depth of field by setting the dial to aperture priority.To adjust the aperture by bumping up the iso in Shutter Priority seems a bit `round the houses`to me but if it works for Onlybill then great.
Onlybill.Please do not take this disrespectfully but I dont think the pic you posted is a very good example of what Canonman wants to acheive.Yes you have the shutter speed to freeze the movement but an aperture of 5.6?This will give a very shallow depth of field and it shows in the handful of birds in the shot that are in focus.The majority are out of focus and I dont think thats what Canonman is looking for.If that is how you wanted the shot to turn out like then fair enough.
Personally if I was taking that shot I would have my camera set at Aperture Priority f9 or f11,iso at 200-400 and I dare say the shutter speed wouldnt dip below 1000 sec.

Canonman,you will get different answers from loads of photographers.All we can do on here is tell you our own personal methods.The only way to see which one works for you is to try them out.You are shooting digital so you can see the differing results instantly and you can then see which gives the best results for you.
Good luck,all the best.Mike.

I agree with Mike, use Aperture priority. For single birds open the lens right up and you will get the fastest possible shutter speed. For groups of birds you will need to stop the lens down to get more depth of field, how much you step it down depends on the distance between the nearest and furthest bird, like Mike says something around f11 should be about right to get them all in focus. By stopping the lens down you will lose light so you need to watch your shutter speed, if it is too slow just up the ISO.

You will find that getting the exposure right is the hardest thing but that is another topic altogether.

Best of luck.

thanks mike & roy, like you say Its a matter of going out & trying for myself, which I will this weekend & then I will post some shots. Thanks onlybill, mike & roy I appreciate It very much. Ive been on a number a sites for help & advice & I must say this forum greatly outshines the rest. Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,there was an article in Birdwatching mag a couple of mths ago,re flight shots.These were the settings they suggested.AF-8.0
Al Servo
ISO-400(could be higher in very low light)
Continous shooting mode
Cannot remember re the auto focus red lights,but I usually leave on the centre dot,unless a group of birds.I have been using this set up,and yes,it does work.

Canonman77 Your welcome, I hope it was helpful. To the other guys, about the AP, didn't I admit that there was disagreement about it here? About my photo: the point I was making was about the idea of the birds being in the same focal plane, and in showing an image that purposely had a short depth of field and had most, and to me at least 90% in focus, and not a handful as was suggested. Obviously a greater depth of field would have included more in focus, but that was not the point. ~onlybill

One other thing Canonman77. I would like you to look at the 40-50 bird in flight images I have in my gallery and compare them with the mere handful on the Aperture Priority bunch's galleries. You decide.

Last edited:
I generally agree with Mike. I would further add that you would if you are using zoom be better off where possible using shorter focal lengths to increase apparant DOF. There is also little need with pro/consumer cameras to shoot at ISO100 although I have done it myself. The noise levels at ISO200 are negligable and you double the shutter speed.

When the birds are further away you will get more DOF.

Having said the above I have done whooper swans at F4.5 using a 500 lens and birds front and back in tight flock are all in focus.

a dancy: I almost always shoot ISO 200, and over. The reason I used ISO 100 in this case
was a bright sunny day, and all white birds. I could have used a -EV setting, but I didn't. Otherwise I am in absolute agreement with the ISO 200. The problem arises at higher ISO, like 400, where noise shows up, at least on the Sony A-700 I use. Not insurmountable, but I still would like to keep at 200 if light permits. My main point, and a bit of disagreement here, has to do with shutter spreed priority, aperture priority in birds in flight specifically. Your mentioning the further the birds are away does get you more (apparent) depth of field is true, and F4.5 using 500mm lens having the birds in focus is quite possible. Birds in flight are generally at some distance, and rarely do I find that using a wide open aperture causes any problems. I don't think that depth of field is as important as having a sufficient enough shutter speed to avoid blur due to camera shake or subject movement. If I am incorrect here I would appreciate any contrary argument that makes sense to me. So far I haven't heard it.~onlybill one more thing about focal lengths: lens I use Tamron 200-500mm, was using a shorter focal length that 500mm possible in the sample I included, that was not trying to show what settings to use, but what a narrow focal plane looked like.

Last edited:
Hi Canonman,

An RDS(red dot sight) would help specially on close quarters as it is very hard to use the viewfinder on bifs.

ed

I use AV as opposed to TV. It is largely a matter of choice. At some point with either method a point critical has to go because of the light availability. I find it easier to compute with AV and it suits doing other birds better in my view. If you wish to use TV that's fine.

Onlybill,my apologies.When Canonman asked how to set his camera up to get 4 or 5 birds in flight in focus I thought that was what he wanted to know.

As for comparing your gallery of BIF shots to the shots on the Aperture Priority bunchs gallery please dont go there.Are you saying that `we` dont take as many or our shots arent as good?
If it is the latter then please go ahead.After all the Peregrines in my gallery were a lot easier to capture than your Herons,Ibis and Spoonbills eh?

I would like you to look at the 40-50 bird in flight images I have in my gallery and compare them with the mere handful on the Aperture Priority bunch's galleries. You decide.
Very unwise Bill 'Judge ye not least you be judged' I am sure most of us have already looked at your gallery ;)

p.s I have more than 100 flight shots in my BF gallery alone and I can assure you that they were all taken in AP so I do not know where you get a 'mere handful' from. If I had to guess I would say that at least 75% of the flight shots in the gallery were taken in AP mode.

Last edited:
HI Guys, To the main question, I did want to know what settings to use for birds In flight & yes 5 or 6 In flight. I thank you for all your comments, but I didnt want to start a jerry springer. I see Its a very strong conversation piece. I suppose Its trial & error for me to see which Is better either APERTURE PRIORITY or SHUTTER PRIORITY. I have seen cracking shots with both settings. I shall have to try It out for myself & see which suits, but on most of my pics I do use aperture priority. Thanks again you have all been helpful..

Sean.

OK, its the weekend. Been a rough week, and I've been staying up too late. I'm off to shoot pictures, that should help. Roy, I think I crossed the line. Sorry about that. As far as what we are discussing, and having looked into it further, and having posted elsewhere, it is likely there are flaws in my argument. I am still having difficulty in understanding why, but I'm working on it. In any case, either way you go, I'm sure you can get acceptable results. Have a great weekend!~onlybill

OK, its the weekend. Been a rough week, and I've been staying up too late. I'm off to shoot pictures, that should help. Roy, I think I crossed the line. Sorry about that. As far as what we are discussing, and having looked into it further, and having posted elsewhere, it is likely there are flaws in my argument. I am still having difficulty in understanding why, but I'm working on it. In any case, either way you go, I'm sure you can get acceptable results. Have a great weekend!~onlybill
No probs Bill, I am just about to go out myself although its very windy. Out shooting is what it is all about, best of luck and have a good one.
regards
Roy C

Manual exposure and spot metering for me all the way. I usually use center point focus. Here's a shot at ISO 2500 ... when you're talking late afternoon on a November day in Alaska, sometimes you really have to push the limits. Same approach for the multiple BIF shot (although such a high ISO wasn't required in that case.) Just to show that different techniques work for different people.

Attachments

• be.jpg
    be.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 162
  • sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back