• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 Photo Attachment TSN-PZ, PA2D, PA6 (1 Viewer)

greg g

Hello,

I have a Kowa 883 and want to get a photo attachment and I have been looking at the Kowa web site where there are three models available;
1)TSN-PZ is a zoom that offers a 680-1,000 focal length.
2)TSN-PA2D is a fixed attachment for 950mm focal length.
3)TSN-PA6 is a fixed attachment for 600mm focal length.
I've searched the web looking for reviews/advice on the pros and cons without much success. What experience have you had in using any of these products? Which of these three should I definitely avoid or be wary of. Any insight would be greatly appreceiated. I am new to digiscoping and want to get off to a good start.

Thank you,
Greg

Well if you want to digiscope with an SLR camera on a Kowa scope these are the way to go. I have used the TSN-PA2 with my Kowa 663. Best I can say is it doesn't seem to degrade the image, which is actually all you want from a photo adapter with optical elements.

So your choice really depends on what focal length, thus magnification "reach" you need. For most of my needs, a focal length of 1000mm (1500mm effective with Nikon D40) is the sweet spot. But there are times when I am in close and would prefer a wider FOV so having a 600mm (900mm effective) option would be nice to have. Thus my choice would be the TSN-PZ on a 883. Just know the TSN-PZ will vignette film and full frame dSLRs though.

cheers,
Rick

Are these the digiscoping adaptors or the camera adaptors which attach straight to the SLR,I used to have the Kowa 821 with the 800mm adaptor f10,it was quite an expensive piece of kit (about £160) and the quality wasnt great with my non flourite Kowa,just sold all my stuff on E-bay and bought a cheapish Maksutov OTA which I use as a long focal length lens with a cheap adaptor which attaches easily to my SLR,converts to a 1300 mm lens and the quality seems pretty good (for the price,about £220 for the scope) obviously it has its limitations (not waterproof) but until I can afford a decent big lens it will suffice....

Rick,
Have you used a zoom adapter previously, I have a concern that the zoom attachmant may degrade the view more than a fixed unit? The flexibility of the zoom would sure be nice. Also, does the zoom vinette but the two fixed units will not vinette? Do you know if the zoom attachment is less bright than the fixed units, similar to some eyepieces of a spotting scope?

Andy,
Yes this is a direct screw-on attachment, not a swing-away type.

Thank you,
Greg

Greg, unfortunately I have not used the zoom so cannot comment on its performance. Since I am sure they use modern multi-coatings, I doubt if there is any significant loss of light. Besides, shooting with a dslr will give you much brighter pics tin low light han a digicam because of the greater ISO sensitivity. The non-zooms should also not vignette a full frame camera.

cheers,
Rick

PS: I just rechecked my current Japanese catalogs and found some inconsistencies between the hardcopy and the websites. The websites say the PA6 will vignette a full frame camera and nothing in regard to the PZ, while the catalogs say the opposite. Best to check with your dealer or email Kowa.

Last edited:
Rick,
Thanks for checking into it, I will search for some more information or comments. If I come up with anything I will post it.
Regards,
Greg

Greg, the TSN-PZ gives you the longest reach of the 4 Kowa TSNs available. However, there may be times when you may want a longer reach with your digiscope setup, and for that I would recommend getting a 50mm fixed focal length lens. I have successfully used one with my Canon DSLR, without any adapters or rings.This now gives me a focal length of 50mm x 27(EP) x 1.6 = 2160mm. The TSN-PZ costs $465 and for that you could get a decent 50mm, f1.4 lens. I got a good used 50mm f1.8 lens and am very happy with it. Not only is it working well with my Kowa digiscope setup but I now have another lens in my arsenal, especially for normal, low light, non-digiscope situations.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Since this was a old Kowa thread I will assume you want to see my Kowa TSN-663 + PA2 adapter and D40. Here's the rig and a duck(s).

Now I am using Nikon ED82-S + FSA-L1 adapter + D90

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• D40 at 800mm.jpg
    D40 at 800mm.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 964
  • Nikon D40 and TSN663.jpg
    Nikon D40 and TSN663.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,294
Hi Rick, may I say if you are satisfied with your setup that is all that matters and if it works as you suggest regarding the D40 that all in manual it should be okay.

I did have a photoadapter like that for my TSN4 back in the days of film cameras and came to hate the bloody thing as unless you had very bright light it was nigh on useless. It would probaby work okay with my 400D but am now firmly on the P5100 route for digiscoping and the 400d with a 100-400 lens for closer work. You see main priority is to be able to use my scope to view birds and then take a photo so anything permanently attached to the scope such as a dslr would prevent that. I reckon I am still a birder first and photographer second.

Cheers

Robert

...... for that I would recommend getting a 50mm fixed focal length lens. I have successfully used one with my Canon DSLR, without any adapters or rings.This now gives me a focal length of 50mm x 27(EP) x 1.6 = 2160mm.

Hi,

How do you attach a 50mm. lens on a dSLR to a Kowa 883 without adapters or rings? Do you have a photo of this setup?

Thanks,

Richard

DSLR setup

Oh boy I deserve 10 strokes of the cane for overlooking a necessary response. My setup does in fact need a adapter. The adapter I use is the TSN-DA1 tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back