• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen eyepiece on Diascope (1 Viewer)

John Russell

I have a 65mm Diascope with the 23x (16,7mm) eyepiece and it has served me well for several years.
The comparatively low magnification offers advantages in fov, brightness, depth of field and speed on the bird and I have seldom wished for more.
However, I was recently in a situation, where I could not get any closer and was not able to distinguish between Ringed Plovers and Little Ringed Plovers, and could not see any colour in the legs of a Greenshank (?).
Of course. the Zeiss zoom would help out here but I am not a fan of zooms and was not willing to pay €450 for the rare occasions I would need it.

Both Zeiss and Baader Planetarium offer adapters to enable 1 1/4" astronomical eyepieces to be used on the Diascopes (more on these later). I experimented some time ago with an 11mm TV Plössl for 35x mag. but the expectation that the simple construction would offer contrast benefits for terrestrial use was an illusion, and the 8mm eye relief was very uncomfortable.
Many astronomical eyepieces will not achieve infinity focus on the Diascope but the Vixen LVs have a short barrel and 20mm eye relief. I decided on the 9mm version, which is the shortest focal length with a quoted afov of 50°. This would give me 43x mag. and a 1,5mm exit pupil. I have read tests indicating that there is little to be gained with exit pupils under 1,3mm for terrestrial use.

The Vixen eyepiece is claimed to be fully multicoated and to have blackened lens edges. It has a fold-down rubber eyecup, is well finished and weighs about 170g complete with Baader bayonet adapter. I set about comparing it to the 23x Zeiss and the Zeiss zoom (15x-45x), which was kindly lent to me by a friend.
Eye lens diameter seems to be related to fov and eye relief. It measured 23mm on the Vixen, 24,5mm on the zoom and 28mm on the 23x WA. By contrast, it was only 10mm on the Plössl.

Holding the zoom eyepiece to one eye at minimum magnification and the Vixen to the other eye, I could see no difference in fov. The 9mm Vixen NLV, the latest version with twist-up eyecup, is quoted with 45° afov and I assume it is optically the same as the LV, so this figure would appear more realistic.
However the view is comfortable with the long eye relief and could not be described as tunnel vision. Close focus with the 23x was 3,55m and 3,60m with the Vixen, so little change of focus was necessary.
The zoom was not parfocal across its range. It wasn't just the need for more critical focus at 45x; returning to 15x required a small correction.

Optical errors are most apparent at the field edge and the greater the fov, the greater the errors. Nevertheles, I was surprised that the inexpensive Vixen had the best overall performance. Astigmatism was not discernable, field flatness was excellent, distortion and lateral CA were low. There was some diffuse ghosting from a street lamp outside the fov but in the same situation the 23x Zeiss and the zoom at 15x showed striations.
Both Zeiss eyepieces showed moderate lateral CA and pincussion distortion.
The 23x and zoom at 15x also had a lot of field curvature with the zoom also showing astigmatism at this magnification. The Plössl, surprisingly, also showed severe astigmatism.

The Baader adapter is to be recommended. It duplicates the Zeiss bayonet and is secured to the astro eyepiece with a compression ring and 3 grub screws. The Zeiss adapter is well made but slow to change as the eyepiece has to be secured to the scope with a locking ring with a very fine thread.

All Vixen LVs (and NLVs) have 20mm eye relief, so the different focal lengths are individual designs and may differ in performance but the 9mm can be warmly recommended.

John

John,

Thank you for posting this. I have also been tinkering recently with the Diascope 65 and various 1.25 inch astro eyepieces. I tried one that was similar to the Vixen NLV (the name escapes me right now but it was recommended by some of the folks at Cloudynights because it offered two ED glass elements in the design and supposedly offered better eye placement than some of the other relatively inexpensive ED eyepieces out there. I was comparing it directly to the Celestron X-cel (two ED glass elements). The other brand had somewhere around 13 mm of eye relief while the Celestron was closer to 20 mm.

I have now tried the X-cel 25 mm, 12.5 mm and 8 mm configurations. All of these provided an exceptionally good image in terms of apparent brightness, sharpness, CA control and a flat, relatively distortion free image. Considering they sell in the US for $60 they have to currently be one of the best bargains out there right now. Their 55 degree apparent field of view is not the widest out there but when you consider the long eye relief on all units and the excellent edge performance I see very little to complain about.

Just another one to consider.

Frank,

I was previously unaware of the Celestron X-cel. I did consider the Baader Eudiaskopisch, which is similar to the (discontinued?) Celestron Ultimas and Takahashi LEs but was informed by Baader that I would not be able to achieve infinity focus on the Diascope.
It is possible to shorten the barrel to achieve more infocus on some astro eyepieces and my dealer does this on the Vixen LVW 5mm. On the 85mm Diascope this gives 100x magnification and he has one customer, who uses this combination to inspect the vanes on wind machines for damage. Apparently he can detect 1/2mm cracks at 100m!

I know you have tested a wide variety of astro eyepieces on the Pentax 65ED and if any of these work on the Diascope, it would be interesting to hear of your experiences.

John

John,

I have only tried a few eyepieces on the Diascope...the Pentax XW 20, the Xcel 25, 12.5 and 8 mm, the Celestron $70 zoom and now the Celestron Regal F-ED zoom. The latter provides superb views with no hint of the yellow color bias of the Zeiss zoom. There is another issue with it though that I hope to resolve.

Surprisingly I was the least impressed by the Pentax XW. Edge performance was noticeably worse on the Diascope than it was on the little Pentax 65.

The Celestrons are excellent with the Diascope and I would certainly recommend them. As I mentioned above the 25 mm provides what I consider the best view of any eyepiece/scope combination that I have ever used. Truly impressive!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back