• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apps for iPod Touch (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

I'm hoping to purchase the new iPod Touch when it is released in a month or two (really hoping for a retina display!). Anyways, I have come across some reviews of various birding apps (one great round-up on birderslibrary.com). In particular I'm finding the Audubon guide quite attractive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08FRHp27Zts&feature=related

Audubon also has apps for various other wildlife groups, including (among my favorites) reptiles and amphibians:
http://www.audubonguides.com/text/our_app.html
Click on each title and you get more information!

I'm soooo looking forward to purchasing a few of these apps from Audubon, but I am curious...

What other nature-related/field guide apps do you own, enjoy, recommend, etc? I just played with my cousin's iPod Touch (3rd generation) and never knew what an iPod really was these days...I just thought they played music (but I was browsing the internet, checking my email, uploading my wildlife photos, checking weather, and watching an episode of Family Guy).

Thanks all!

Hia SR.... bought an Ipod touch 3rd Gen. 3wks ago then bought from Birdguides the Video Guide to European Birds.....I know you're from the US but...what my point is:- I made the mistake in buying the 8gb touch then when I bought the Video guide, I found it needed 9gb to run it. It didn't say that in the ads so I'm stuck with a touch that can only run a selection of the birds and not the whole package...so BEWARE that you have sufficient memory on board for the apps you hope to add.
Regards Joe

That's very good advice. Thanks for that. I've been toying with buying an ipod touch and would probably have bought the 8GB. Now I know better!

I was just browsing and found Apps for Sasol's birds of southern Africa, Kingdon's Mammals of Africa, Wildlife of Africa, and Trees of southern Africa. Cool stuff! But I seem to just stumble into these apps...any site where it is easier to find nature-related field guides/apps/etc?

Best way to find apps is to go to i-tunes apps and put a query in the search box in the top right hand corner. This cuts down a lot of time for searches and hopefully gets straight to the chase!

Hia SR.... bought an Ipod touch 3rd Gen. 3wks ago then bought from Birdguides the Video Guide to European Birds.....I know you're from the US but...what my point is:- I made the mistake in buying the 8gb touch then when I bought the Video guide, I found it needed 9gb to run it. It didn't say that in the ads so I'm stuck with a touch that can only run a selection of the birds and not the whole package...so BEWARE that you have sufficient memory on board for the apps you hope to add.
Regards Joe
Hi All, just an update to my earlier post, Bird Guides have added this info (needs 9gb) to their ad. after my complaint.

Regards Joe

Hi Joe,

I agree that if you're going to get an iPod touch then go for the 32GB or even the 64GB. I have an 8GB touch like you but was dissappionted with the amount of memory, the apps that come with it take up some memory. I got the ipod free when I upgraded my television from freesat to Sky+
I have just bought a 64GB touch off ebay for £90 more than an 8GB touch would cost new & I know I'll be able to fit my entire CD collection plus loads of apps & internet ect.
They really are amazing to use & only 8.5 mm thick so if any of you intend on buying one go for the bigger memory you won't regret it.

Cheers, Neil.

Last edited:
SR, I'm glad you found my field guide app round-up useful! I just posted a review of birdcountr, an app for recording sightings. I'm hoping to review some more apps of that sort.

Did you get any of the Audubon guides? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Jedigrant--The new iPod Touches are announced September 1st. Not sure when they will actually become available, but if I'm lucky they'll be available online at the apple store immediately. I won't wait to purchase!

Therefore, I haven't tried any apps yet as I don't have an iPod, but here's some that I will be getting almost immediately:

Nat Geo's Field Guide to Birds of North America
Sibley Guide
Audubon Birds, Mammals, Wildflowers, Trees (value pack)
Audubon Reptiles & Amphibians
Audubon Butterflies

I will let you know what I think of these Audubon guides!

Only had my Ipod a week but so far I have...

Birdguides Video guide Birds to British Birds

Birdguides Birds of Northern Europe

Fourier Lite - very simple and free - delivers real time fourier analysis of sounds, tried several of these analysers but they are often weighted to use say in a auditorium and aren't sensitive enough for birdsong - Fourier Lite works very well at long distances.

I use it because I have no hearing at all over 12Khz (bit old) and the rest is a bit rubbish and my tinnitus masks any high frequency sounds left - I was quite surprised when I first used it and watched the graph of a robin alarming only to see responses from other birds I couldn't see or hear.

(Search Itunes for Fourier Lite)

Acoustics Spectrum Analyzer - fourier analysis and recording - not too sensitive and has two big dials on the display but you need a recorder so why too have analysis too - only 59p from Itunes.

Audioscope - I like this one mostly as it looks so cool - It's an Oscilloscope !!!
Also does FFT and Sonograms - as it's 59p you don't get play, pause or anything fancy.

SpectraSound - moving up in the price range (£1.19) this is seriously nice looking App - FFT and Sonogram with sensitivity control - also tapping the scope screen is 'pause' so you can look at a sound in details - while paused you can alter all the scales.

Audio Kit - suite of tools - FFT, Scope, DB meter, Signal generator - the generator told me how bad my hearing is - £2.39 from Itunes.

Analyzer Free - works and does sonograms but no functions at all and not sensitive - all the other Analyzer Apps from this source don't work on a new Ipod !!

Must have App
AppBox Pro

Transfer stuff to Ipod, read PDF DOC PNG etc
UWFolder

VLC media player
Play movies without having to convert to MP4

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back