• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrant Duck IDs - Michigan, USA (1 Viewer)

Rapala

This past weekend was a great one for migrant birding, and the following photos are the ones which I would not positively identify. I have about a dozen photos to be identified, but I have broken them into two threads, passerines in one and ducks in the other, to reduce the number of photos in each. This particular thread is only ducks, primarily pertaining to Scaup. Most photos are distant and of poor quality, so if they are unidentifiable, don't hesitate to let me know. These photos were all taken at a local wildlife flooding and additional details accompany each;

1&2 - Distant group of ducks, I'm thinking Scaup/Ring-Necked. They were diving at different times. The photos are of the same group.
3 - Flock of migrating ducks, perhaps Scaup as well.
4 - Confirm Common Goldeneye. Barrow's is a rare possibility, so help with distinguishing features would be great.
5 - Another distant Scaup. I am aware that the white wing stripe can be a diagnostic feature, but I doubt that there is enough to go on here.
6 - A Scaup that was loosely flying with the Goldeneye
7 - Finally a photo of better quality, a flock of Scaup that made a close pass by me

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 3Ducks @ Dollarville (2).jpg
    3Ducks @ Dollarville (2).jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 3Ducks @ Dollarville.jpg
    3Ducks @ Dollarville.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DuckFlock @ Natalie.jpg
    DuckFlock @ Natalie.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Goldeneye @ Dollarville.jpg
    Goldeneye @ Dollarville.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 60
  • LoneDuck @ Natalie.jpg
    LoneDuck @ Natalie.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 58
And the rest...

Attachments

• Scaup @ Dollarville.jpg
    Scaup @ Dollarville.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ScaupFlock @ Dollarville.jpg
    ScaupFlock @ Dollarville.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 54
#1 Ring-necked Ducks
#2 as above
#3 Probably all scaup sp. but not 100% certain
#4 My gut feeling is Common Goldeneye-possibly immature female
#5 Female Ring-necked Duck (all grey wing-bar)
#6 Redhead? Possibly RN Duck but bill shape perhaps favours RH?
#7 A group of 4 Redheads? not a species I’m familiar with though

Will see what others think...

Last edited:
#1 Ring-necked Ducks
#2 as above
#3 Probably all scaup sp. but not 100% certain
#4 My gut feeling is Common Goldeneye-possibly immature female
#5 Female Ring-necked Duck (all grey wing-bar)
#6 Redhead? Possibly RN Duck but bill shape perhaps favours RH?
#7 A group of 4 Redheads? not a species I’m familiar with though

Will see what others think...

Agree on most. Not sure on #5 and I wonder if the bottom right bird in #7 is a Scaup sp?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back