• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Lots of spring activity going on here the song is loud and non stop from most species. Great few minutes above the house when I noticed the carrion crows getting more vocal so looked up to see 3 buzzards.... 1stooping at a calling pair, they were harrassed for few minutes before the aggressor flew off. No need for the crows to get involved this time

Lots of spring activity going on here the song is loud and non stop from most species. Great few minutes above the house when I noticed the carrion crows getting more vocal so looked up to see 3 buzzards.... 1stooping at a calling pair, they were harrassed for few minutes before the aggressor flew off. No need for the crows to get involved this time

Brilliant! I saw "my" buzzards again yesterday but have been out most of today. It's lovely to see them soaring over.

Had a fledged Woodpigeon being chased off by it's parent today, yep first brood fledged already! I think it must have been quite a shock for the youngster though because it walked straight past my feet before flying onto the fence where it stayed for a good while (probably still reeling). I couldn't help but think that's an easy meal for a Sparrowhawk!

Last edited:
I spent the day at my parents place today.

A couple of interesting items.

First, there was a pair of Mallard Ducks feeding below the feeder. In 47 years that my parents have lived in this house and had a feeder, they have never had ducks at the feeder!

They are about 1/4 mile to the closest pond. And I have to think that duck bills are not well suited to eating bird seed!

The two watched for each other as a good pair will. One ate while the other watched. Then they switched places.

Another fun item, the downy woodpecker and the hairy woodpecker look almost alike but that the hairy is a lot bigger. Here are photos of a downy and a hairy on the same suet feeder.

Attachments

• IMG_1057a.jpg
    IMG_1057a.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1162a.jpg
    IMG_1162a.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1105a.jpg
    IMG_1105a.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1112a.jpg
    IMG_1112a.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 175
Intresting post crazyfingers, mallards do now and again feed under feeders, especially at managed reserves here in the UK....

Nice comparison images for the Woodies

I spent the day at my parents place today.

A couple of interesting items.

First, there was a pair of Mallard Ducks feeding below the feeder. In 47 years that my parents have lived in this house and had a feeder, they have never had ducks at the feeder!

They are about 1/4 mile to the closest pond. And I have to think that duck bills are not well suited to eating bird seed!

The two watched for each other as a good pair will. One ate while the other watched. Then they switched places.

Another fun item, the downy woodpecker and the hairy woodpecker look almost alike but that the hairy is a lot bigger. Here are photos of a downy and a hairy on the same suet feeder.

I used to have some Silver Appleyard Ducks which are very similar to Mallards and while they were in the garden we regularly had Mallards coming under the feeders to eat seed. My Appleyards took off and the Mallards never seem to come anymore.

I've been very busy with the leylandii most days, but the feeders are at the other end of the garden and the birds are managing to feed most of the time. The goldfinches are especially quick to get back on the feeders - I sat down for a few minutes in a chair about 10' away from the feeders and the goldies were right back feeding in front of me.

Yesterday I was posting about Mallards not having been for a while. This morning a pair of Mallards calmly walking up the garden towards the feeders.

Haven't been spending a lot of time in our yards because it's spring migration and so I've been out and about. Spring is also baby time, though, and we're starting to see some in our yards. Yesterday two adult Carolina Wrens brought two babies to visit. They spent some time exploring our fences and plants. Then an adult stashed a baby in our wisteria and shuttled back and forward bringing it food. As one photo showed, this sometimes involved tricky moves.

BTW, a weekend visit to the Texas coast turned up a lot of beautiful birds. There are photos on my blog.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC04285.jpg
    DSC04285.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 32
  • babywren.JPG
    babywren.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 29
opened the front door yesterday to go to work to find a raven about 30 yards in front of me, that's going on the list as a fly over.

quiet this morning, just the sparrows and a pair of goldfinch in

Pied Fly update

The female is busy nest building whilst the male sits around watching her (and chasing off anything that appears within 20 metres or so)

Attachments

• 20 04 061.JPG
    20 04 061.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20 04 067.JPG
    20 04 067.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 42
Fox appeared in the close this morning and wandered through the garden.... not seen by moi.... I had a lazy lie-in this morning but sighting confirmed by my partner.

Super cool birds Goyter.... a reliable year tick now lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back