• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Lovely cardinal pic Jeff... they have a really pleasant song as well, if they're the same cardinals you get in southern Ontario, which I visited last summer.

They're the same birds. They have several different songs and calls. They seem to be the bird of the week because I must have seen at least 50 since Friday.

Jeff

Great image Jeff.... and yes very sad RE: the Wren, would be far more understandable if it was a bird of prey, it really is a waste when it is down to domestic pets :C

Not quite as bad as I thought, Dave, since the adult pair still has two youngsters. They were all over our front and back yards at lunchtime today.

Jeff

While it's been a great week to be off weather wise, there hasn't been a lot of activity feeder wise.

The highlights have been up to 6 goldfinches, up from the usual 2, and the pair of coal tits have been feeding together regularly. I have discovered that the mealworm suet blocks are not very popular, but change to berry or fruit versions and the starlings return !!

Here's hoping today brings more to report......

Quite a few pairs around today, blue tits feeding each other, coal tits feeding in earnest, and great tits switching between the feeders and the ground seed.

Pair of bullfinches put in several appearances, and had two collared doves for the first time, always been a single bird before. Very pleasing !!

While it's been a great week to be off weather wise, there hasn't been a lot of activity feeder wise.

The highlights have been up to 6 goldfinches, up from the usual 2, and the pair of coal tits have been feeding together regularly. I have discovered that the mealworm suet blocks are not very popular, but change to berry or fruit versions and the starlings return !!

Here's hoping today brings more to report......

Wrong shift for me this week, but hope to get to see the garden much more over the coming long weekend.

The suet is dissapearing fast so I guess the Jackdaws are having a ball

2011 Garden Species No. 46
House Martin

other highlights today.... Cormorant over and best of all an aggressive Male House Sparrow mobbing and chasing off a Starling.... still nipping at it way off into the distance!

Been very busy with clearing the way for the new hedge today so only caught the odd minute or two of feeder watching - just saw the usual sparrows and goldfinches today.

highlights today include bearded tits,

displaying marsh harriers.

booming bitterns.

calling cuckoo

ooh hang on i wasn't anywhere near my garden that was titchwell

oooh also forgot i got 2 lifers as well,well you would if you'd been listening to booming bittern wouldn't you

Last edited:
2011 Garden Species No. 46
House Martin

other highlights today.... Cormorant over and best of all an aggressive Male House Sparrow mobbing and chasing off a Starling.... still nipping at it way off into the distance!

I'll raise your HM with a pair of Red-legged Partridges I had visit yesterday. Grasshopper Warbler was heard again this morning after a gap of a couple of days. Still got a few easy summer visitors to get.

CB

highlights today include bearded tits,

displaying marsh harriers.

booming bitterns.

calling cuckoo

ooh hang on i wasn't anywhere near my garden that was titchwell

oooh also forgot i got 2 lifers as well,well you would if you'd been listening to booming bittern wouldn't you

Congrats CC. Only been to Titchwell once. An amazing reserve!!

CB

First Juvenile of the year... Robin being fed by both parents. 10 days earlier than last years first juvenile.... it must be this lovely summer weather.
House sparrows have hatched but not fledged yet, I can hear them in the roof.

Male Sparrowhawk through the garden, right past us while enjoying breakfast on the patio
2 Canada Geese over, and can still hear Oystercatchers but still not able to see them from the garden.

Last edited:
Thought I'd drop in with my garden report :D

A couple weeks ago we had a small group of fairy wrens flitting through the garden for two days, that was nice.
The new holland honeyeaters have been devouring the nectar from the geisha girls.
The crimson rosellas have been perching here and there, and COMPLETELY ignoring the nest box that I put up 2 weeks ago. (I'm still hoping!)
Today when I was setting up my tent on the lawn (to check it was all still good for my camping trip) a flock of around 12 silvereyes flew over, a crescent honeyeater stopped in for a brief visit (new for the garden) and a pair of zebra finches flew over! Also a new sighting for my garden. I only knew they were zebra finches thanks to their calling as they passed by. Also the welcome swallows were flying about as I hung up some washing.

+the usual regular common everyday things :p

Add to that, a low flyover of 3 black-faced cuckoo-shrikes, 2 crested pigeons perched precariously on the tv arial, and 3 white-plumed honeyeaters chasing each other into the eucalyptus.

And some speices of frog that's croaking in my pond :p

Last edited:
Thought I'd drop in with my garden report :D

a flock of around 12 silvereyes flew over, a crescent honeyeater stopped in for a brief visit (new for the garden) and a pair of zebra finches flew over! Also a new sighting for my garden. I only knew they were zebra finches thanks to their calling as they passed by.

Well done with the 2 new sightings Azzy :t: and welcome back ;)

Garden Lifer No. 63 & 2011 Garden Species No. 47
Chiffchaff

Albeit far too brief, nice start to the morning with plenty of song.... made my ID of it very simple!

Update on the Robin Fledgling..... make it fledglingS. All 4 birds out and about, very busy feeding and a few good shots to upload later

Glesga, I can relate to the breakfast on the patio while birding the garden... very nice

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5722.JPG
    IMG_5722.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Great to hear about your robin fledgelings BFB - I've had a robin visitor once or twice on the feeders the last few days but no sign of any youngsters yet. The robin also likes checking out where I've planted or moved things around in the garden.

No swifts here, any sign anyone?

well we've been away 4 days and somethings been here because they've emptied both seed feeders ate all the fat balls demolished the fat block and half emptied the niger feeder

on the garden front yesterday at my mates house in the fens we had house sparrow,
tree sparrow
goldfinch
chaffinch
blackbird
blue and great tit
feral pigeon and great spotted woodpecker

this morning i had ridiculously close views of a male marsh harrier from his kitchen window while making a cup of tea
not bad for a 1 day garden list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back