• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Hi all :) have now moved house to Newlandsmuir in East Kilbride and the feeders are up. So far this week we have :
Great, blue and coal tits. House sparrows by the dozen, same with starlings! Wood pigeons, blackbirds, dunnocks, rooks, magpies, chaffinch, siskin and goldfinch.

Will try and get some pics up soon, running off the smartphone just now tho as Virgin Media haven't been yet.

from a description of a sighting i read else where, it's highly likely i had an osprey fly over my house yesterday afternoon,

Last year I discovered through someone else's pictures that an Osprey had devoured a fish, caught at Mere Sands Woods, on top of a telegraph pole literally a couple of minutes walk down the road from me! And I was of course in the house completely oblivious too so I share your pain. ;)

Not being pedantic..but I think your image shows a Mistle Thrush! Thought it worth mentioning...as it might be a garden tick. ;)

I thought the same but because no-one else had pointed it out, I'd convinced myself otherwise:t:

H
Great, blue and coal tits. House sparrows by the dozen, same with starlings! Wood pigeons, blackbirds, dunnocks, rooks, magpies, chaffinch, siskin and goldfinch.

A good start to your new list. Siskins disappeared from here a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Male Siskin just re-appeared on the nyjer feeder. Always the way isn't it...?

Last edited:
Doing some gardening gave me time to see some birds today.

FLYOVERS
3 Anhingas (new yard bird)
5 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
1 Red-tailed Hawk

IN YARD
1 Carolina Wren
1 Northern Cardinal
1 Northern Mockingbird
1 Carolina Chickadee
1 House Finch
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 Mourning Dove
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
2 Downy Woodpeckers
3 White-winged Doves
3 Blue Jays
6 House Sparrows

Jeff

Grey Heron over

Jeff well done with the Anhinga - I got Cormorant the other day, similar I guess
Glesga well done with Goldfinch first - and of course the Sparrowhawk too

Male Blackcap again this morning. Hopefully this one is a spring arrival.

Two pairs of Blue Tits and a pair of Great Tits investigating nest boxes - sadly not ours though:C

I was watching a female Blackbird collecting nesting material and I've pinpointed the nest to the conifers in next door's garden. The male keeps guard while she builds it.

A duck sp flew over but I wasn't quick enough with the bins to get an ID so still any kind of duck is missing from my garden list.

just in from work and found a nice suprise on the feeder..... Redpoll and possibly a Mealy its rather light and bulky for a Lesser. Just waiting for it to come back to re-affirm

Dave

Hmmm maybe not a Mealy, another has arrived also and the first bird is certainly a little larger and lighter just doesnt quite look right for a Mealy.

Still very nice though

Last edited:
Part 2 of Venezuela now added to my blog :news: I hope you enjoy

Just been catching up on both parts, BFB. Sooo sooo many great birds / pics in there I don't know where to start. The Swallow tailed Kite looks very odd!

Lots of different colours and then there's the Common Thornbird - the Garden Warbler of Venezuela?;)

Great blog and I'm just amazed at the number of birds you saw:t:

Just been catching up on both parts, BFB. Sooo sooo many great birds / pics in there I don't know where to start. The Swallow tailed Kite looks very odd!

Lots of different colours and then there's the Common Thornbird - the Garden Warbler of Venezuela?;)

Great blog and I'm just amazed at the number of birds you saw:t:

Cheers Bongo
Parts 3-5 still to come over the next weekor so.... you aint seen nothing yet ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back