• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

I regularly travel between Carlisle and Gretna Green for work and I have seen four Snow Geese on the river Esk many times where the M6 motorway goes over the river then it flows into the Solway Firth. Unfortunately stopping on the bridge to look at birds would not be seen by the police as a great manoeuvre . Stopping can be done on the new road that runs alongside the motorway on the west side the birds are most often seen on the east side of the bridge when travelling south.
Abbeytown is only about 12 miles down the coast from here.

When I had a look at the photo of one of the Tawny owls I wasn't sure if it had a damaged eye - or was just sitting with one eye open? It had just caught what looked like a moorhen or coot chick - sadly I couldn't tell for sure what the prey was.

Attachments

• DSC_2978.jpg
    DSC_2978.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 164
"Resident" Pink-footed Goose at Linstock near Carlisle

Hello

I was wondering how common is it for a pink-footed goose to spend the summer in the uk?

I've seen a single pink in with a flock of greylags (of varying size) and a single farmyard goose on or by the River Eden near Linstock on several occasions this year. I first spotted it in early January and it was still there in early May. I paid my first visit to Linstock for several months today and it was still there.

It can certainly fly, and doesn't appear (at least to the layman) to be injured in any way.

Pinks are seen here frequently through the winter and so it would certainly have had plenty of opportunities to join up with a group of them if it was lost.

Comments appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

This bird also arrives at soddy gap throught the winter, must just be happy with the greylags. Could have been injured a time ago and decided when it was better to stay with greylags. the internal migration hasnt returned.
Hello

I was wondering how common is it for a pink-footed goose to spend the summer in the uk?

I've seen a single pink in with a flock of greylags (of varying size) and a single farmyard goose on or by the River Eden near Linstock on several occasions this year. I first spotted it in early January and it was still there in early May. I paid my first visit to Linstock for several months today and it was still there.

It can certainly fly, and doesn't appear (at least to the layman) to be injured in any way.

Pinks are seen here frequently through the winter and so it would certainly have had plenty of opportunities to join up with a group of them if it was lost.

Comments appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the reply, Craig.

It could have been there some time when I first saw it in January, as I was only making the occasional visit to this area at the time. So it may have a local history I don't know about.

Paul

Spent the last few days in Cumbria, not really a bird watching trip but a few nice things.
Great to see birds like Raven, Red Kite and Dipper, all rare to impossible in Norfolk.
Also lovely to see an Otter at Siddick Ponds NR.
Thanks to Craig for Dipper help.
Cheers.

Spent the last few days in Cumbria, not really a bird watching trip but a few nice things.
Great to see birds like Raven, Red Kite and Dipper, all rare to impossible in Norfolk.
Also lovely to see an Otter at Siddick Ponds NR.
Thanks to Craig for Dipper help.
Cheers.

Happy to help oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back