• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol/Avon Birding (1 Viewer)

Darren Pearce

As yet we do not have a thread for our area so I thought I might kick one off. When I suggested it a while back the feedback was positive. I haven't really thought about what area it should cover but here goes. If the thread dies a death at least we have had a go

17 Black Terns reported from Blagdon Lake early morning. Anybody going for them ? Are they likely to be some left tommorrow morning ?

Quail reported singing yesterday in Rushmead Lane,Marshfield. I went for it yesterday evening but no sight nor sound

Last edited:
My local patch is Yate and Chipping Sodbury which are two towns just outside of Bristol.

The area is mainly residential but there are a few wild areas that I visit everyday in my lunch hour these being Wapley Bushes LNR and Westerleigh Common.

I have had some good birds visit and today was especially good with a Hobby hawking Dragonflies over a flooded field en route to Wapley Bushes.

I also had Common and Lesser Whitethroats, A family party of 4 Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker and a Jay.

Good birds in the past have been

Hawfinches
Spotted Flycatcher
Jack Snipe
Garden Warbler

On the Bristol/Avon front I went to Marshfield on Saturday looking for Quail but no joy again. Good number of Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer and a party of 4 Red Legged Partridge

I went to Severn Beach hoping for Sanderling or Yellow Wagtail to push my yearlist to 200 but didn't find either.

I did see loads of Turnstones and Dunlin a few Redshank and Curlew. I heard a Whimbrel but could not locate it

Any other local birders who would like to post sightings, please do so, it is quiet at the moment but a thread like this may have it's uses come the Autumn

Last edited:
Hi Darren,
The Arboretum at Leyhill is quite good and the lake at Tortworth is also good but access was only a few Sunday's a year. Do you know if that is still the case? Also did you get the Cranes a few years ago just up from Leyhill Prison?
regards
Merlin

Hi Merlin,

Tortworth Lake is only open on the first sunday of the month March - Sept inc.

There is a good flock of Mandarin there.

Also if you carry further down the road over the motorway there is a gateway on your right hand side. If you go over the gate there is a footpath which leads to the Heanage Pools. I have seen Mandarin, Little Egret, Cormorant, Green Sandpiper and Grey Wagtail there. Also last year there was an Egyptian Goose.

I didn't get the Cranes at Tortworth as I was not actively birding then

Last edited:
Hi Darren,

Are there still Nightingales up your way at Inglestone Common? I've just driven through Marshfield this afternoon on the way back from twitching the Black-veined White, and was wondering if any Quail had been reported this year. Have you got directions to Rushmead Lane?

I'm glad you started this thread as it's a bit wider than the already existing excellent websites for Severnside Birds and Clevedon/Portishead Birds. I managed to get out a lot locally in Spring, mostly to Portbury Wharf area, but haven't been out as much as I should since.. I didn't really find much mind, with Crossbill, Gropper and Med Gull being highlights. Don't really get much in our yard in Easton either !

Hi Larry,

Quail have been reported from Marshfield this year with the most recent being last week. I went up there on Saturday but didn't hear any.

Rushmead Lane is easy to find. If you go along the main road between Marshfield and Tormarton it is called Tormarton Road travelling from Marshfield it is on your left hand side. It is difficult to park and often you meet other traffic and have to reverse back. There are one or two places that you can pull into. Copy and pasted this link into your browser for a map.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=51.47332,-2.32149|13|4&loc=GB:51.47332:-2.32149:17|rushmead%20lane|Rushmead%20Lane,%20MARSHFIELD,%20SN14.

I was at Lower Woods/Inglestone Common yesterday looking for White Admiral. I left it too late in the day and there was nothing about. There were Nightingale there last year and there probably is this year but they are hard work and this year I cheated and popped up to the Cotswold Water Park where they were guaranteed.

Last edited:
The Hobby was still hawking insects over the flooded field at lunchtime today along with a Kingfisher,Sedge Warbler,Little Grebe and a party of Bullfinches

Hi Darren, thanks for the Quail gen. Can't get to it now though cos Van with girlfriend at festival:-C

Another Bristol titbit though, my mate texted me yesterday to say he'd just had an adult Med Gull over his house in Easton.

And you say you don't get anything in Easton

I had a Yellow Wagtail yesterday at the same site as the Hobby that I saw earlier in the week

I saw a Peregrine in Yate this lunchtime. It was chasing Starlings around Westerleigh.

I managed some record shots via mobile phone

Anyway I'm off to Norfolk for a fortnights holiday, hopefully Bristol birding won't be too good while I am away

Attachments

• per1.JPG
    per1.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 144
  • per2.JPG
    per2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

Wednesday is a nightmare, I can't even go after work as I have to take my daughter to her swimming lesson GRRRRRRRR. Did you get the Spotted Crake or the Spotted Sand at Chew recently ?

Last edited:
Darren,
Would a swimming lesson near Woodford Lodge not be an acceptable alternative?? Is it worth suggesting ?

Merlin

Hi Darren

I'm based over near Bath, will post what i see here on this site. But I'm new to birding and dont get much time! Plenty of buzzards over here though!

Hi Kev.

Welcome aboard,any postings welcome.

Chew looking interesting at the mo, Fudge Duck still there, two BN Grebes, Little Gull and Black Tern.
Still need Black Tern for the year list so hopefully will get over there at the weekend.

And Lesser Scaup still at Blagdon with 2 Black Terns

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back