• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Re: Binoculars.. to start out with (1 Viewer)

egret3

Re: Binoculars.. to start out with

Hi everyone:

I posted at the Bino forum as well
but.. what did you start out with.. please

Someone is giving me these Bushnell
they got them for points.. so I will
use them till acquiring a better pair

what make did you get.. and why
tks..

No.. do not want to spend a lot
at this time..

:bounce:

Hmmm.. No one replied :(
so.. to update you..
those interested..

I was given the Bushnell binos
and they are fine for my purposes.

a lovely gift..

starting to get out more now..
and lighter than those old.. Tasco ..
terrible ones I was using.. Heavy..

Started with a pair of 10x50s for a tenner from car boot sale,about 10 yrs ago,thought they were the bees knees ,till I looked through a quality pair.Now got Nikon HGs..hb

The simple answer is down to what you can afford. Bushnell are good but when you try Leica, Swarovski etc they are in a different league (and price). For £200 you should be able to get good bins, Opticron, Swift, Bushnell, B&L etc. For £50 you will get something that provides magnification and probably won't last very long. Go for the best you can afford, it will be better in the long run.

Generally speaking, do you think a good quality pair of compact binoculars will provide better use than a compact spotting scope?

I am using a Chinon 8x22FB which does the job well, but like Henry I bet if I were to try a proper professional pair they would expose its weaknesses

InFocus are continuing their field events throughout the summer. I might hope to go to one of those which should allow me to try them out in the hides

I've had very cheap binocs back during my hiking days, and never used them.

Recently I got into birding and started with some Alpen Pro 10x42 (got them on ebay for $75) and Pentax 20x50 SPF (another ebay $75 deal).

I am about to buy some "birding-only" binocs. I've done a lot of research, talked to a lot of members here.

I will probably get the Celestron Noble 8x32s first, and possibly also the Audubon Equinox HP 10x42. All depends on your usage, if you wear glasses, if you plan on doing evening/low light birding, etc. And of course what your budget is. The two I mention are about $250.

Lark Ascending said:
Generally speaking, do you think a good quality pair of compact binoculars will provide better use than a compact spotting scope?

I am using a Chinon 8x22FB which does the job well, but like Henry I bet if I were to try a proper professional pair they would expose its weaknesses

InFocus are continuing their field events throughout the summer. I might hope to go to one of those which should allow me to try them out in the hides

Generally speaking compacts are not going to be as good a full size bins, the smaller objective (22mm compared with say 42mm) will not have the light gathering capabilities of full size bins, so they will not perform well in poor conditions. Personally I have found that compacts are not as comfortable to use for long periods and can cause eye strain.

As for the scoe question, buy decent bins before worrying about getting a scope. By this I don't mean wait until you've got a pair of top end bins, just until you've got a decent pair that you are comfortable using - I can highly recommend Opticron for excellent quality affordable optics. Although a scope will allow you to view birds at greater distance, you will use your bins a lot more so it is of more value to have good bins than a scope.

It is an excellent idea to go to an optics event and try bins/scopes for yourself, no amount of reviews or advice can compare to trying them yourself. One word of warning, In Focus to not stock the widest range of brands so your choice would be slightly restricted. Shop around as much as you can and try as many pairs of bins (within your budget) before buying.

Hi everyone:

Well finally, some replies.. :) Now that I have
the Bushnells.. LOL Thank you..
I shall keep all your info at hand.
They are: 10 x 25 range.. with a digital camera on them
but I wont be using it..

but.. I have the Bushnells now.. and will not be
replacing them. They are fine.
A friend was kind enough to get them for me.
They are brand new. Tthey are fine. Ever light
compared to the others..

I know.. if I tried the other better .. and more pricey
ones.. Wowee..
but Christmas will be coming. .and
I shall ask for them.. for a present..

ONE MORE QUESTION: What do you clean your binos
with.. and also.. do you always put on the little
rubber protectors when you put them in the case.
Then you have to adjust them all over again.

Last edited:
I think there are some great buys out there in the under-$300 (US) dollar range. Make sure they meet your needs, though - if you wear glasses, or even sunglasses, then having long eye relief is important. If you want a wide FOV (Field of View) make sure you research and get one that is better than another at 1000 yards (usually lower mag, lower objective lens (the big ones on the end) size will give you that.

If birding in bad weather is something you might do, make sure they are waterproof.

It really all comes down to your comfort, your needs, and your budget.

And what was the sig-line I saw here recently? "The worst binoculars in the world that are WITH you are better than the best in the world that you left at home."

Greywolf:

Tks for your input.. all these things are important
so, now I have enough to keep me going..

There is always some little thing, as a newbie,
that you do not think about. That is for sure.

P.S. I do like that Wolf.

I always keep the old Tasco ones in the car..

oh, one more thing.. What is everyone cleaning
their binos with.. please?

You are welcome - and I'm just as much of a newbie as you are ;)

I clean mine with a lens pen - very compact, easy to use.

I have a can of compressed air and a fine brush for getting any particles off the lens and then just use a good lens cloth.

Having said that, it makes it sound as if I keep my optics clean when in fact most of the time they are filthy! Hmmm, why spend all that money on top optics if they aren't clean I hear you all cry!

Good Morning to all:

and.. again
Thank you..
lens pen.. duhhhhh.. never heard of this
will find one however
and the lens cloth

Enjoy your day!

I was to our Toronto Island yesterday
and saw a beautiful Oriole. As it was in flight,
I am not sure which one it was.. and guess
what my binos were at home.. GRRRR.
Also, had another wee bird take a dive at me.

Ill post this info at a more appropriate forum.

Lens pens are very inexpensive. You can get them online, or probably most camera shops.

Always blow out the specks first (just use your breath) - or if you use canned air make sure you don't get the nozzle too close. Then brush gently with the bristle end, then use the cleaning end in a circular motion from the inside of the lens out.

NEVER use a paper towel, your shirt, etc. BAD BAD BAD!

I was at the hospital the other day and saw a beautiful warbler, and of course didn't have my bins - grrrrrrrrr. I'm temped to carry a pair with me at all times now - though I'm sure I would get stared at a lot.

Hello :

tks for this detailed info re the pen.. appreciate it..
and re the shirt.. how did you know and the p. towel?
Yes, been there done that..but not on the new binos.

ahh.. I am beyond worrying what people think
... so.. if my binos are needed. then will bring them.
often you just leave them behind, like the camera
and then it is too late.

Enjoy your day!

I agree with postcardcv. Opticron are excellent for the money. I have a pair of their budget "Countryman" bins which are superb value at £189 or thereabouts. Not in the Leica/Swarovski league but neither is my bank balance!

On the subject of cleaning, I would say don't clean any optics unless you really have to. Frequent use of lens cloths can cause unseen damage, especially if cloths are not kept clean.

Hi David:

Tks for this.. I rather
would think that a little
goes a long way..
Ill keep me grubby paws off the
.. glass..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back