• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED2 7x36 evaluations and review (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I can see were going to have comments coming in from different folks on the ED2 bins as the first have started arriving.

So perhaps a single thread to gather all these comments together might be a good idea.

I split out the models by size ... so comments on the correct thread might help.

And after posting the 42mm thread Bob asked

Kevin,

Was it an oversight or by design that the ED2 7x36 isn't included here?

By design. I think the 7x36 is a rather different beast so should have it's own thread.

And please only post-purchase evaluation, reviews and discussion on this thread (there are already speculation threads for random comments!).

Last edited:
Kevin,

Both threads are an excellent idea.

Something else I just thought of in relation to these threads. Someone just clicking on them now might think that these are already reviews. When they see that they are just a thread started for reviews of these bins they are not likely to click on them again for some time (once the actual bins reach people's hands). What these threads then show is the average number of people that have an initial interest in the bins on any given day. Repeat "views" would be omitted from the equation as the bins are just now starting to show up on people's doorsteps.

...yeah, I know.....but I have always been a student of human nature.

;)

Not necessarily. We can all post endless irrlevant posts* on this thread until the real review shows up. The members will then need to open it 30 times.

*see example in my words above

I just don't get your meaning Tero.

;)

Me thinks it won't be until the weekend before we see any 7x36s.

Perfect timing for the first day of the official count for the local hawkwatches. I already have one gentleman up there interested in the 7x36 ED.

Mine showed up today along with the 8x43 ED2s.

No time to post now...maybe later.

;)

We'll that sucks....no new bins on my birthday :( Frank, you're in PA and here in SD I'm much closer to Zen-Ray yet you get yours and nada here. No update in the USPS tracking system either. Simply shows that the package was processed through Portland 8-13 at 7:04PM. Go figure......

Did get an e-mail about the ill fitting objective covers and replacements being made to be sent in about a month.

Mine showed up today. I was thinking about how to replace the sucky objective covers when the e-mail about the replacements appeared.

More to come.

Bob,

For whatever reason I usually get Zen Ray shipments within 2 days via USPS Priority Mail. SteveC, who lives exponentially closer typically gets his a day later.

...don't ask me. I should ask my dad. He worked in various positions within the USPS for many years before retiring 20 odd years ago.

Well,much to my complete amazement, my ZEN ED 2 binoculars showed up in the USPS truck about 6:15 pm here.

They are bit of a size surprise as far as the 7x36 is concerned. While they are definitely smaller than the x43, they still are about the same size as the 8x42 Nikon Monarch.

My first impression is very good. The improvement in the depth of field over the 8x is pretty evident. There is a bit of pincushion/field curvature at the edge of the image, but not much.

There is a slight hint of the veiling glare. But please note that for me it is ONLY when looking at a sharp up angle through foliage at a bright blue sky with the ball of the sun just out of the fov either above or below the eye. Keep away from the sun and it is not there. Bushwhacker lens covers do indeed seem to help.

The focus rate of the E2 is better than the E1, but as EdZ noted about the 8x43 he had, it is still pretty slow close in. Most of the slowness seems to be from 20' or so on in.

Not much for now, but I seriously doubt these will disappoint.

Last edited:
Bob,

For whatever reason I usually get Zen Ray shipments within 2 days via USPS Priority Mail. SteveC, who lives exponentially closer typically gets his a day later.

...don't ask me. I should ask my dad. He worked in various positions within the USPS for many years before retiring 20 odd years ago.

I hear you (and also see that SteveC got his). The tracking was finally updated showing that it left a sort facility 350 miles east of here at 10:02pm Friday night. Bets are it's in a trailer that hadn't been offloaded and sorted before mail was collected for delivery. At least I know it definitely will be delivered to me Monday.

SteveC said:
My first impression is very good..... Not much for now, but I seriously doubt these will disappoint.
Thanks Steve. Yours echo what others have posted here and elsewhere. Everything sounds pretty encouraging :)

Last edited:
Hi All,

I received my 7x36 Saturday and have made some preliminary technical checks for those interested in that sort of thing. I did the report in PDF’s to keep it simple for me.

I have not looked at the glare issue yet. I was going to do that yesterday but I got sidetracked chasing a bird around the neighborhood and forgot all about testing. I will look into this later.

I will leave the subjective testing to those more adept at it than I am.

Best to all.

Ron

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Zen Ray 7x36ED2 Data 1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 866
  • Microsoft Word - Zen Ray 7x36ED2 Data 2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 659
7x36 ED2 - WOW !!!!!

Hi folks...I finally got to take my new 7x36's out for a spin. While Iam no expert,thou I own more binoculars than most camera stores have in stock, I believe these are the best 7x glass you can buy under $ 800 -1000 price range. Yes I know this is only my take on these, and I will leave you experts to voice your views on this fine state of the art binocular. For those sitting on the fence, undecided whether to go to ZENS, take the jump you wont regret it. As far as the dreaded Flare or ghosting *** ITS A NON-ISSUE *** I had a hard time trying to reproduce even a slight glimse of any ghosting which if it were not mentioned by the negative remarks in this forum( some probably from the ALPHA owners ) I would never have noticed it at all. These are Sharp, Crisp & Super bright. They look & feel just as well made as any Zeiss or Leica I have owned. This last comment is for all those other over priced companys I know are reading this forum; You better come to grips with your insane prices because the New ZEN RAYS are going to take a big bite out of your sales.......A very pleased Zen Ray Customer.

Ron,

I certainly appreciate the tests you've posted. From what you've posted I'm concerned about the focus fall off beyond 67% of the field. I had been hoping for 85% field sharpness but that doesn't look to be in the cards. We'll see if it bothers me or not. A pair of Carson 8.5x42s with a very wide 11* AFOV and approximaely 50% sweet spot did which lead me to selling them.

Mine are due for delivery this afternoon.

I believe these are the best 7x glass you can buy under $ 800 -1000 price range. ... . As far as the dreaded Flare or ghosting *** ITS A NON-ISSUE *** I had a hard time trying to reproduce even a slight glimse of any ghosting which if it were not mentioned by the negative remarks in this forum....

Amen.

I just posted about this in Fireform's very good Shootout review, and see no reason to repeat it here.

Ron,

I certainly appreciate the tests you've posted. From what you've posted I'm concerned about the focus fall off beyond 67% of the field. I had been hoping for 85% field sharpness but that doesn't look to be in the cards. We'll see if it bothers me or not. A pair of Carson 8.5x42s with a very wide 11* AFOV and approximaely 50% sweet spot did which lead me to selling them.

Mine are due for delivery this afternoon.

Bob, what little I used them while on a wild-bird chase I did not notice the roll off in use, it was not as apparent as with the straight lines. I also did not notice any glare at all, but I was not looking for it either.

Ron

Bob, keep in mind that is a fairly critical test. The 2 arc minute block at the bottom right corner is equiv. to 2 inches at 100 yards, maybe not noticable on irregular shaped objects.

Last edited:
Bob, what little I used them while on a wild-bird chase I did not notice the roll off in use, it was not as apparent as with the straight lines. I also did not notice any glare at all, but I was not looking for it either.

Ron

Thanks for the post, you just answered the question I was going to ask you. ;)

Ron,

Appreciate the clarification :) I also just read Fireform's shoot out that SteveC cited. He indicates that while present, it wasn't a substantive factor in daylight.

And SteveC's comments there also are reassuring: "I see a lot less edge distortion than what Fireform describes. Yes there is some edge distortion/field curvature, but the 7x36 sweet spot is wider than the whole 8x43 ED 2 fov. The 8x43 ED 2 is sharper to the edge than the 7x36. To really see the distortion on the 7x36, I have to stop and literally squint sideways through the binocular. That examination of the field edge for imperfections seems to me to be an un-natural act (I can accept the fact that it bothers some people and do not expect everyone to see what everyone else does). I think I would pretty well notice a sweet spot that was so narrow as to begin at 50% out from center in the fov. But with the 9* or so of the 7x36, I do not even notice the edge under typical viewing."

For me? I'm a wide sweet spot nut. My Swaros are an example, with theirs arguably larger than similar models from Leica and Zeiss. I probably shouldn't have expressed concerns here and instead simply waited to wring mine out. We'll see.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back