• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-winged blackbird's trick (1 Viewer)

pattianne

My grandson and I recently covered pine cones with peanut butter and birdseed and hung them with cotton string from a young oak tree. Several cardinals feasted from them on the first day. Later, after a heavy rain, I noticed a rwb was not able to reach the pine cone from the branch; the string had lengthened after being wet, I suppose. I was astonished as I watched the rwb bend his head down and pull the string up. He then held the string with his feet and reached again and pulled it up two more times. Each time, he would step on the string with his feet. It only took him a few seconds to do that, and then he ate his fill and flew away. I thought it was really neat how he handled his problem.

How interesting. I knew crows do this type of thing, but not blackbirds. I'll bet there's someone doingbird research who would love to hear about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back