• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FeederCam today March 8- QT Video (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
I got a new used camcorder today- a Canon GL1. (eBay.)
This is my first video with it. It has a different look I think- I have been using a Sony TRV950- which is very nice but has only a 12x zoom. The GL1 has a 20x zoom. That is the main reason I wanted the Canon. So far, I really like the way it feels and operates. The focus ring is much wider and more accurate. The Sony is better in low light however. The GL1 only goes down to a 60th/second and the Sony goes all the way to a 4th/second. You can really open it up to get tape in almost any light.

OK, back to the birds. On the tape we have all the regulars with the hermit thrush thrown in- it starts with a dazed downey- the little guy just stays in one spot for too long. There are doves, grackles- one with a toe missing. I think he's in pain. Mockingbirds (2), wren, nuthatch, cardinals. Have a look.

The video is 3.5 minutes- 7 mb.

iMovie

Morning, Alan!
You're right.... that little downy certainly does look dazed, the way he's just sitting there blinking. Such a sweet little bird tho'.
A question: what kind of wren is that you get there? I don't see them here so I know nothing about them.
Another question: Just how many doves do you have there???
That hermit thrush is such a pretty bird.... seems very inquisitive! I see what you mean about the grackle with the missing toe.... he most definitely appears to be in pain. Wonder what happened? That little nuthatch is just adorable. And I see you had Pink Wing back again (female cardinal).

Nice job once again.

Tammie,

It's a Carolina Wren- at least that's what I have been calling it for 10 years. It is a darker red/brown and is bigger than the house wren. It's a resident here and is the most commonly seen wren in the southeast.

And the doves: A bunch. They come to the feeder as a group with as many waiting in the trees as are on the feeder. I guess a hundred or more- I'm really not sure but I know that when they are here it's very noisy and busy. They come to the feeder many times every day too. It could even be different flocks too, I don't know- they definitely all look the same. Once in a blue moon one will have a distinguishing feature that's a little different than the others- usually a deformity or missing a part.

No bird cam for a few days - we are doing the antique show and I will be working till dark for the rest of the week. I did get some tape today so I will be able to put together a couple segments from that. Since you like doves so much, tomorrow or Friday I will do a "Dove Special" just for you.

Cheers- Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back