• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite Green Ring Line Discontinued (1 Viewer)

I just tried my Yosemite 6x30 the diopter control ring turns somewhat hard but not bad. The ring on mine is almost 1/4" wide. It is easier to adj. with the eyecups up. One of the biggest complaints I have with the binocular is the eyecups do not come out far enough for the ER. I suppose I could try some o-rings of the right size on the end of the eyecups, I just tilt the bottom out some. Using my glasses with eyecups pushed in the ER is perfect for me. I forgot how great the view is with this binocular . My brother-in-law agrees he bought my first pair.
I received Cabela's new spring catalog yesterday and they show three of these Yosemite, 8x30, 8x30 Camo and the 6x30. No pink;)

It's also got glacially slow focus and infinity is counterclockwise.....but, again, ya can't have everything ('specially for under a hunnert cimoleons)....

A followup here.....I've yet to see a bino that had as stiff a diopter ring as this little 6x. It's not just stiff, but also very hard to get a grip on, due to being very narrow and close to the twistup. The sharp little tits on the ring almost require you to use fingernails to adjust it. Anyone else have this problem?

It is stiff but it's actually designed to be used in a particular way. This escaped me until I realized one day that the "random" protuberances were designed for the index finger and a thumb held in a "reverse C" (on the right hand) or something like a pinch.

Using it this way it's stiff but the finger and thumb have something to push on.

Another thing to do is to "loosen up" the diopter by working it back and forth before setting it.

As far as the focuser, I guess I just adapt to binoculars, didn't notice, 6x DOF is larger. Kevin that is the way I adj. the diopter, reverse C. This is the first binocular [6x] that I have been able to use while riding in a vehicle moving.

As far as the focuser, I guess I just adapt to binoculars, didn't notice, 6x DOF is larger. Kevin that is the way I adj. the diopter, reverse C. This is the first binocular [6x] that I have been able to use while riding in a vehicle moving.

At first I was trying to move it with my thumb (sounding like the OP) but pushing or pulling against the nubs gets it to move with good control. Still rather stiff.

6x is great from moving vehicles. I've used it in the Skagit Valley whilst driving (as passenger!) to sort out swans from the snow geese or the various raptors on wires and posts to decide if it's worth stopping for a better view. When stopped I look at the birds with a 10x42 or a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back