• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular and optical repair in Seattle (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Apropos of nothing except I saw this on the Western Washington birding list TWEETERS today. A recommendation for Close Instruments a binocular and optical repair in downtown Seattle (well, Belltown to be more precise).

I recommend Close Instruments at 2316 4th Ave in Seattle. The gentleman - and I believe it is Mr. Close - has been in business for many years and does excellent work. He also seems to be reasonably priced.

http://www.closeinstrumentrepair.com/

My name is Howard Close and I've been in business at 2316 4th Avenue since 1947. We specialize in service and sales, refurbishing and repair of binoculars, telescopes, transit levels, and drafting and surveying and equipment.

We restore instruments for businesses, individuals and traders on eBay -- such as ship's compasses, barometers, and antique telescopes. Our trader friends keep bringing their finds for repair, lense replacement, instrument cleaning, polishing and restoration for resale and personal use.

Since 1947!

Among the 8x42 binoculars we repair are the Zeiss Victory, Leica Ultravid, Swarovski EL, Minox HG, Pentax DCF ED, Vortex Razor, Nikon Premier LX-L, Minox HG and others. We are also skilled in repair of mid-size binoculars such as Leupold Wind River, Katmai 6x32, and Celestron Compact Waterproof binoculars and compact binoculars, Pentax Papilio 65x21, Bushnell Elite, Leica Black Ultravid, ZEISS 8x20 Victory, Nikon Premier LX L 8x20, Canon Image Stabilization Binoculars, Bushnell Legend, Eagle Optics Triumph, Nikon 7509 Travelite 25 and more.

A pretty good selection.

I've not used them and have no association with them but this could be useful for folks in Seattle or the Pacific Northwest.

We also have (or had?) Captain's Nautical in Ballard.

Are there any others?

Last edited:
Whenever we are in Seattle for a few days I always try to pop in and see Howard. I don't think he remembers me as sometimes it's been a couple of years since my previous visit.
He is a really entertaining guy to talk to though, and has forgotten more about binoculars that I will ever know.
I have never had anything repaired there so I can't comment on that side of it, but I just love to pop in there and BS about binoculars.
He is well into his 80s, but what a character!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back