• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clutch size/fledging rate of ground-nesting birds (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I've just contacted the BTO about this, but while I'm waiting on a response, does anyone know of any datasets that are available which would allow a comparison of the clutch size and average number of successfully fledged ground-nesting birds in the UK?

I'm hoping to get geographical-based information (although I don't need or want to know the actual locations of nests) that would allow me to compare numbers annually over say 10 years (although more years would be better), and then compare with weather information - in particular, mean precipitation in the area.

I'm hoping to investigate if there's a link between clutch size/fledging rate and precipitation. Note this is a preliminary investigation into a potential project for a uni course, I've still to confirm whether I should go ahead with it, and part of the reason is ensuring I can get access to data.

I doubt that your request is easy to answer or to answer at all.
It´s too general for any usefull information. Did you think about which genus/species do breed on the ground? Geese, ducks, larks, warblers, waders, etc.
A question regarding a certain species, or at least genus, would be better.
Jm2c

Yes I was going to concentrate on waders, particularly those nesting near freshwater - i.e. rivers and lakes. I was keeping my question open-ended just to see if anyone had pointers for getting access to this information. It doesn't have to be waders though, just any species that nests on the ground near to water. Keeping to one particular type of bird (i.e. waders) would help minimise any uncertainties though. It's not about the species though - it's about how precipitation affects their nests.

I know the BTO does a nest survey, but whether they have consistent records of particular species in particular geographical areas over a set number of years, I've still to find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back