• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you use eBird? (1 Viewer)

I like playing with these options and seeing charts and graphs (especially the green rectangles ;) ). I have two or three ideas (if these exist I don't know how to get them) :

1) I am interested in seeing combined results for an area larger than my country, so they would include the neighboring countries. The main reason is that there is a number of trans-border protected areas, and for example the Pannonian Plain is a continuum that does not stop at any of the borders. Presently I can click on my country, or the other country, but not two or more of them combined.

2) an alternative would be a feature that combines data within a circle of xy kilometers/miles around a given location

3) The third thing is the percentage of observers recording a certain bird species within a certain area within a certain time frame. I hope to lure more of our local birders to eBird with the beginning of new year 2014. It would be very interesting to know which birds are underrepresented in individual birders' reports when compared to official population numbers in our country, so it may be possible to start a "species awareness campaign" or something like that.

Hi all,

This may be of interest to eBird users. I'm a web developer. I got hooked on using eBird this year, so when I found out they provide a public API (a way to interact with their data), I've been playing around with it. Today I just released this site:
http://birdsearch.org

Basically it's a Google Map-driven site for browsing bird observations that we all submit to eBird. It communicates directly with their API so it's always kept up to date with the latest observation info.

As a birder, I most enjoy the "notable sightings" search option. It's great to have a simple, visual overview of a region to see what rarities are being seen where. Living in Vancouver, BC, there's a lot of other eBirders in my neighbourhood so the results are particularly rich.

Anyway, thought it may be of interest. All the best!

- Ben ([email protected])

Good job I have had a good look Carstairs and Calgary to see what has been seen where my sister in law moved too. Hopefully I will get visit them sometime and take in a bit of birding:t:

I had a message from the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) saying that they are developing an extension to the UK system (Birdtrack) to allow ''global data entry".
Isn't this just a waste of effort when eBird is already up and running?
I've only been using eBird for a couple of months but have enjoyed entering historic sightings from India, the US etc. The only prob is that, although I recorded dates and sites I often lumped together all the birds seen over, say, a weekend. And I never recorded start and finish time. It never occurred to me. However, the sightings are still valuable data so I've just made an informed guess of start and finish times and 'distance walked'.

I had a message from the BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) saying that they are developing an extension to the UK system (Birdtrack) to allow ''global data entry".
Isn't this just a waste of effort when eBird is already up and running?
I've only been using eBird for a couple of months but have enjoyed entering historic sightings from India, the US etc. The only prob is that, although I recorded dates and sites I often lumped together all the birds seen over, say, a weekend. And I never recorded start and finish time. It never occurred to me. However, the sightings are still valuable data so I've just made an informed guess of start and finish times and 'distance walked'.

The alternative when missing effort data is to enter as incidental observations.

One would hope that the BTO effort would be made as a entry portal for either Ebird (or another of the existing world wide efforts). Ebird definitely would be my preference.

Niels

The alternative when missing effort data is to enter as incidental observations.

Niels

Thanks for the tip! Another problem I have is remembering exactly where some of the places I visited 30 years ago are - I haven't always used the names that would appear on a map. E.g. 'nature reserve near Sotogrande'. The map of Spain shows a NR in Sotogrande but that hadn't been declared in 1985 - and I cannot find the one I visited on the map :eek!: I wouldn't be totally amazed to find that it had been covered in houses during the last 29 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back