• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home made binocular eyecups (1 Viewer)

Hi,

does anyone have any info on making your own eyecups?

I'm sure I've seen photos here on BF somewhere of diy eyecups made of bike inner tube but I can't find them.

I have taken the cups off my Bushnell Legend porro 8x42s to free up some extra e/r. It works well but I need something to stop the exposed metal sratching my glasses.

Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin

I made some eyecups once out of a mountain bike inner tube, while waiting to get some Nikon eyecups ordered in (3 month wait...). I had to experiment but ended up cutting a length about 2-3 times what I needed, doubling it over on itself to create a rounder edge. Stretching it on the eyepiece held it in place. Hope that makes sense.

Andrew

Martin:

Be very, very careful about painting in close proximity to your ocular lenses. A bit of toluene or gasoline on either of these lenses could really mess up the coatings. Chemical reactions and all that. Not sure that Bushnell's warranty would cover this procedure?

bearclawthedonut

You would certainly need to be careful with you painting technique, but I really don't know if the coatings are susceptible to solvent. I thought most were vacuum deposited and should be resistant, but I could be wrong. I think regular cleaning fluids contain isopropanol and water plus other stuff, but I'm sure I've read about people using 'lighter fluid' in some instances.

Anyone know if there is a solvent risk?

David

You would certainly need to be careful with you painting technique, but I really don't know if the coatings are susceptible to solvent. I thought most were vacuum deposited and should be resistant, but I could be wrong. I think regular cleaning fluids contain isopropanol and water plus other stuff, but I'm sure I've read about people using 'lighter fluid' in some instances.

Anyone know if there is a solvent risk?

David
Please don't cringe and I'm not exactly recommending others do this but when I have had binoculars with grease or oil deposits on anti-reflective coated lens surfaces (usually vintage binoculars with single layer Mgfl coatings) which resisted removal using the regular type lens cleaners, I have used small amounts of Varsol to easily remove them without damaging the coatings at all. Mind, some of these older coatings can be soft and if you rub too hard you will leave permanent markings which I think is a more likely way to damage the coatings.

If i do it, I'll take great care, for sure. I would be very surprised indeed if Bushnell's warranty covered this!

I would mask the lenses off with paper or card first but if the worst happened, these are low cost bins. I'd by a new pair because I really like them. They are so sharp in the centre field and they offer something that I don't get from my SLC 7x42s. I'm not sure quite what it is but in some way I prefer the Legend porros. If the focus didn't stiffen in the cold, they would get more use at this time of year.

Perhaps i should take them out together and work out what the differences are and what the Legends have that the SLC don't. Now there's a shoot out! £125 porro vs £900 roofs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back