• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from USA and a question! (1 Viewer)

PeFa bander1

Hey all - new member here! I live in western NY state. My wife and I are getting to be pretty good birders now, and finding new birds within a days drive is a challenge. We are looking for a quick weekend get-a-way to pick up some warblers and other passerines. We have been to Point Pelee (Canada) and Magee Marsh (Ohio) several times each. Looking at this upcoming weekends forecast, which of those 2 would be better for birding and getting a chance of rarities? We have the option of going to either one. I don't quite understand the way weather works and fronts, etc yet so any help would be great!

Much appreciated,
PeFa Bander1

Bump. New York is a nice state. There are also 'State' topics / threads to post in. Many people on this forum watch too much 'Futbol' and attend loads of Mediterranean Dance festivals. They / some get angry at this time of year. I think it's because of their shared currency. Not the English though. They have a different currency. Anyway, I just wanted your post to be seen (again) and let you know to - perhaps - post in the 'State' section.... Now I can go back to fighting Indians...........

[...] Many people on this forum watch too much 'Futbol' and attend loads of Mediterranean Dance festivals. They / some get angry at this time of year. I think it's because of their shared currency. Not the English though. They have a different currency. [...]
:h?:
What are you talking about?

Hi PeFa', welcome
That's a tough choice. The safe choice might be to flip a coin, then do what the wife says.
Here's link below that's a collection of links using doppler radar during migration. Clemson link for an example, is an excellent primer. One of the other sites notes that Magee "looked" as though lake effected conditions "might" have a good amount of birds on the ground. That was one week past. Also a couple links relating to surface winds, that could be helpful. Might check in with Ebird, but their site seems to be down for maintenance at this moment.

Weather tools & Bird Migration

Great info on that link! Thanks. i guess we will stick with the original plan and head to Magee. If that is not much good, there are places in land we can go to get other species, such as Oak Openings.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back