• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P5100 kowa 883 20-60 zoom (1 Viewer)

Bishop

I a very new to digiscoping. I purchased the scope for spotting long range targets for shooting initially, but chose the kowa based on the info here. I have a P5100 with the da10. It seem to do well with the 25X ler, however I recieved my 20-60x with excitement only to be very dissapointed with the vinnetting. I know I have seen people with this setup and am not sure why its seems so bad. I know the eye relief is about half of what I have with the 25x, but with the zoom much above 25 it is horrible at the end of the macro.
Do I need to zoom out and rely in focusing with the scope and set camera to infinity? Any sugguestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I use this setup when I can (it's my dad's scope, I usually use the Kowa 821). The technique I use is to zoom in the camera just so much that the vigenetting dissaperes. If needed I zoom more with the eye piece but at higher zooms it's hard to get good pictures.

I use the settings found in the p5100 thread in the digiscoping/camera forum.

I'm just a newbie too, now concentrating on getting focus, then I'll move over to aparture and advanced stuff like that :D

I've been trying to focus by half pressing the shutter and then finetune the scopes focus, works quite well.

With my zoom (Swarovski 20-60x ) I'm not able to use the Macro Zone (green) without vignetting (not enough ER ) so I have two approaches -
1. Switch off Macro and zoom the camera lens until vignetting disappears. Rely on AF. If this seems to be problematic ( this could be not enough light/contrast for the AF to work properly ) then try -
2. Switch to Infinity focus and manually focus the scope. I also use this approach when the birds are moving around a lot and the AF has a hard time locking on (eg birds grooming rigorously ).
I hope this helps, Neil.
ps I prefer the fixed eyepieces over zooms

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back