• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with Victory 10x42 T FL (1 Viewer)

Respectfully, that is an outrageous statement.

Many of us have had Zeiss optics and have experienced no such problem.
Every optics maker can and will experience uncommon anomalies; trashing an entire company due to them is just dumb.
Simply put, your optics guy is knucklehead.

My guess is that Zeiss will bend over backwards to make this right.

Check his posts - Lyrebird is just here to wind people up....

As a fellow FL owner this is slightly worrying! Zeiss should sort it out if its a 'common' problem

An internet forum can turn anything into a ''common problem'', as the 99% of satisfied owners don't post.

Same is true with things like rolling ball. Even though i see it, the guy I buy my optics from says he has sold many SV's and has 'never' had a complaint about it.

Forums are all about squeaky wheels.

I'm on my third pair of Zeiss and presently have Victory FL 8 x 42.

I have never needed to do anything but clean them - hope I'm not tempting fate but I don't think so.

I too think that Zeiss will put this problem right under warranty.

Tony

My bins were the first of the lotutec series... could be related to that? I'm sure is not a common problen, and I was very happy with these, absolutely fantastic bins, no problem if it's a singular problem. If Zeiss respond I'm sure will repeat on the future.

BAD news for me. Zeiss say (one month and a half to have an answer :C) that the bins are scratched. Well, then I purchased the most fragile bins of the world.

They want me to pay 257,78 Eur for the repair.

Well, I'll think about it... let's wait... NO

Do you know the best way to complain?

I thought buying a pair of bins of 1500 eur will have some advantages... never repeat this brand

I hate to say this, and hope I'm wrong, but given the somewhat circular, swirly orientation of the marks, it suggests coating damage caused by too vigorous cleaning. Maybe the Lotutec has been damaged?

Mark

Glimmer

I have quoted Mark because the marks that you photographed looked like cleaning marks to me too. If you are quite certain that you have cleaned your FLs in a careful way then I would reply to Zeiss, describing how you cleaned your bins, and suggest to Zeiss that this could only have caused damage if the lens coatings were not up to the required standard and ask strongly that they treat this as a warranty claim.

There are hundreds of thousands of Zeiss bins out there with the T* coatings and more recently with the Lotutec coatings and they do not have a reputation for having delicate coatings.

Something has gone wrong with your bins and it looks like it is either your cleaning technique or the coatings on your particular bins. If you are satisfied in your own mind that your cleaning method is not at fault, then tell this to Zeiss in a firm but friendly way and ask them to reconsider.

Here is one idea to help: ask Zeiss to clean the lenses in exactly the same way that you do, 5 or 6 times, and to then examine the lenses. If the damage increases, despite careful cleaning technique, then this should convince Zeiss that you are right.

Good luck.

Lee

Many thanks Lee,

Good news. Fortunately for me, after requesting, Zeiss has studied again the problem and will continue the repair IN WARRANTY.

Good news. Fortunately for me, after requesting, Zeiss has studied again the problem and will continue the repair IN WARRANTY.

Sounds good. I thought they might repair the bins under warranty even if the lenses were scratched.

However, you should really have a look at your cleaning technique. The Zeiss coatings are pretty durable as far as coatings go, and I seriously doubt there was anything wrong with the coatings.

The only two Zeiss bins with badly damaged coatings I've seen in the past 30 years or so were pairs that weren't cleaned carefully enough. I know because these pair belong to people I go out with, and I know how they clean their bins ... ;)

Hermann

I am torn between getting a Conquest HD 8x32 now or keep saving for Victory FL 8x32. Has anyone poster a you tube video on how they clean their bin? Once I buy the Zeiss I think that will be my last bin purchase. Any suggestions.

I am torn between getting a Conquest HD 8x32 now or keep saving for Victory FL 8x32. Has anyone poster a you tube video on how they clean their bin? Once I buy the Zeiss I think that will be my last bin purchase. Any suggestions.

Thats a hard one to answer. I have an 8x32 FL and I have looked through the Conq HD several times. The HD does 95% of what the FL can do and is considerably cheaper. It even focuses a bit closer than FL. Its a very compelling instrument and anyone would be delighted to own one.

What does the FL do better? Well its a bit brighter, it has better control of chromatic aberration (thats the colour fringe some people can sometimes see when viewing dark objects against a pale background) and the FL is about 100g lighter.

You really need to have a look through both at the same time to find out which suits you best. If you are not sensitive to chromatic aberration (BTW the HD has good control of this, just not quite as good as FL. I didn't notice CA in normal viewing through the HD) and don't mind the extra weight then the HD is a no-brainer. I would have one if I didn't already have the FL.

The cleaning issue is a personal one: everyone has their own technique. I always brush off dust first, then use breath and a micro-fibre cloth, and anything that won't clean off I then tackle with lens cleaning fluid and a cloth. I have never marked a lens with this technique in 30 years but no doubt there are loads of folks with different techniques who can say the same.

Good luck and let us know what you decide :)

Lee

Thats a hard one to answer. I have an 8x32 FL and I have looked through the Conq HD several times. The HD does 95% of what the FL can do and is considerably cheaper. It even focuses a bit closer than FL. Its a very compelling instrument and anyone would be delighted to own one.

What does the FL do better? Well its a bit brighter, it has better control of chromatic aberration (thats the colour fringe some people can sometimes see when viewing dark objects against a pale background) and the FL is about 100g lighter.

You really need to have a look through both at the same time to find out which suits you best. If you are not sensitive to chromatic aberration (BTW the HD has good control of this, just not quite as good as FL. I didn't notice CA in normal viewing through the HD) and don't mind the extra weight then the HD is a no-brainer. I would have one if I didn't already have the FL.

The cleaning issue is a personal one: everyone has their own technique. I always brush off dust first, then use breath and a micro-fibre cloth, and anything that won't clean off I then tackle with lens cleaning fluid and a cloth. I have never marked a lens with this technique in 30 years but no doubt there are loads of folks with different techniques who can say the same.

Good luck and let us know what you decide :)

Lee
Thanks, you made a compelling argument for the Conquest HD. I know in August some of the big box sports stores here will have their fall sales. I have the money in a nice wad of cash waiting to be taken to the store. I will use something like this for cleaning the lens http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ass+cleaning&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I will let you know when I buy the gear! Cheers B :)B :)

Firestation46 - I agree with what Lee (Troubador) said.

I did a direct comparison between 8x32 FLs and 8x32 Conquest HD a few months ago. I thought the FLs had the edge, but there was not much in it. I thought the Conquest HDs were great for the price.

The main reason for me buying 8x32 bins was the light weight (I already have some 10x42 Swaros). Hence, I liked the lighter weight of the FLs. As regards the image - I thought the FLs were marginally brighter and slightly less CA if you really looked for it.

In the end I picked up some mint condition used FLs for £800 which were only 5 months old.

However, if I was having to pay full new retail price for the FLs I would quite likely have gone for the Conquest HDs and saved myself ££££££s.

If you go for Conquest HDs you will not be disappointed.

The kit looks good but make sure you have lots of microfibre cloths so that you have always got a clean one. Put a note in your diary to wash the cloths in warm water with a bit soap, they need cleaning regularly. I wash mine every 3 months and I use about 2 cloths per month.

Lee

Thanks. I buy the cloths in bundles from Amazon and leave them in the house, car etc. this way I can keep sunglasses, bins etc clean. I do wash them but it is nice to have back ups. And, nothing like a new cloth!:t:

An update to my earlier posts (#22,23), I sent my binoculars to Zeiss who replaced the eyepieces under warranty. I'm informed the marks on the lenses are external and the eyepieces are being sent to Germany to see if they are able to identify the cause.

An update to my earlier posts (#22,23), I sent my binoculars to Zeiss who replaced the eyepieces under warranty. I'm informed the marks on the lenses are external and the eyepieces are being sent to Germany to see if they are able to identify the cause.

Full marks to Zeiss. Please let us know what they think the cause is.

Lee

The only two Zeiss bins with badly damaged coatings I've seen in the past 30 years or so were pairs that weren't cleaned carefully enough. I know because these pair belong to people I go out with, and I know how they clean their bins ... ;)

Hermann

I am really interrested what they do with their binoculars. What are absolutley no-gos while cleaning binos? When i am birding with some other guys i have seen they clean their binos in a way i would never do. One guy is using his shirt with a good amount of pressure, even on hot days (sweat, salt). Another one is using ordinary kleenex.

I am very picky with cleaning my Nikon ED 82 and my Conquest HD. I am always afraid that i will do any damage to the coatings. I only use a rubberball with some kind of a plastic needle to blow off dust, then very seldom a cleaning fluid and only a microfibrecloth from baader (optical wonder).

The Lotu-Tec coating is a fantastic idea. Almost everything is gone with one wipe.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back