• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 IDs from Toronto, Canada (1 Viewer)

Joe12

Hello All,

#1 is either a Swainson's or a Hermit Thrush, from High Park, Toronto. I'm leaning toward Hermit, because of the low 'chuck' sound it made.

#2 Apart from this guy, I have only seen Goldfinches and Chickadees on this feeder (and the odd House Sparrow). Could this be a juv. Goldfinch or some type of warbler?

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Backyard Oct 20 2007.jpg
    Backyard Oct 20 2007.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Backyard2 Oct 20 2007.jpg
    Backyard2 Oct 20 2007.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 97
Hi Joe I think that your birds are 1) Because of the buffy spectacles I will go for Swainson's Thrush 2-3) look like Juv American Goldfinch

Joe,

I'm also going with Hermit Thrush on #1, owing to the grayer and more neutral tones than the warmer/buffier tones one would see in a Swainson's.

Robert

Not to mention the time of the year. It would be quite late for Swainson's Thrush in Canada. They are gone from S. CA for the most part by now. The chuck call also gives it away.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back