• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (43 Viewers)

Occasional Blackcaps are seen throughout the winter period in a number of usual locations (Moors feeding station, Education Reserve, the chestnut tree / spindle clump on the causeway etc). However two together on such a date is noteworthy.

Phil

Thanks Phil, struck me as unusual - glad I'm not completely awry.

To clarify - by pair I also meant male and female not just two individuals. Interesting too, that there was also a report of a chiffchaff.

Today's highlights, concentrating on the Moors Pool because of anticipated disturbance at the Flashes.

MOORS:
Golden Plover (2 over)--------------Dunlin (2)
Snipe (6)-----------------------------Lapwing (c100)
Curlew(15)---------------------------Wigeon (m+f)
Pochard (25)-------------------------Shoveler (20)
Teal (35)-----------------------------Tufted Duck (22)
Cormorant(29)---------------------- G C Grebe(2)
Peregrine (2)-------------------------Mute Swan (14)
Kingfisher---------------------------- Herring Gull

FLASHES:
Teal (29)----------------------------- Lapwing (c250)
Redpoll (1)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wagtail

Des.

Today's highlights, concentrating on the Moors Pool because of anticipated disturbance at the Flashes.

MOORS:

FLASHES:
Redpoll (1)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wagtail

Des.

Nice to see the Golden Plover sightings continuing plus an additional Dunlin.

MOORS:

FLASHES:
Redpoll (1)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wagtail

Des.
Des .
Shoveler, teal, Tufted and pochard are going up and down on a daily basis:eek!:. I wonder what's happening, it can't all be down to migration.

Des .
Shoveler, teal, Tufted and pochard are going up and down on a daily basis:eek!:. I wonder what's happening, it can't all be down to migration.

Maybe a comparison with previous years would reveal similar fluctuations during October/November. Over to you Phil.

Des.

Maybe a comparison with previous years would reveal similar fluctuations during October/November. Over to you Phil.

Des.

The problem is that the only stats we regularly record are the peak counts in each half month period, which wont show the sort of variations described above. If I had the urge I could dig out some of the old log-books and map the results.

The problem is that the only stats we regularly record are the peak counts in each half month period, which wont show the sort of variations described above. If I had the urge I could dig out some of the old log-books and map the results.

I'm sure you've got enough on your plate at the moment.

Des.

I personally think the shoveler's have fluctuated more this year than I can ever remember. I know the lack of water in the flashes has caused a large reduction in the numbers. But they were always pretty constant in previous years for a week or so, but daily fluctuations is strange. I suppose we will have to talk to Wayne at Westwood and Brian at Grimley.

Yes, about 10 times too big mate (which is perfectly normal). Install the accompanying software and have a look to see how to resize the images - this is a process that you'll have to do now you've got a better camera that generates higher quality images. As I say, try to reduce their size to around the 1000 pixel (long-side) mark and the file size (M/KB) should reduce accordingly, to allow them to be uploaded.
Another thing, get out of the habit of placing large files (like photos) on your desktop mate. They slow the PC down enormously.
For the time being, while you experiment, send (to my sky e-mail address) me a couple of pictures from yesterday and I'll reduce them and post them if you wish...

There is a free photo editing program called Photoscape that will allow you to resize and is easy to use. Just google it and download. as I say it's free

Upton Warren Flikr Pool

Hi
I am in the process of creating an Upton Warren Flikr pool. What I thought would be nice was creating a way of showing the diversity of the Flora and Fauna of the reserve through the seasons, as well as images of the reserve including that relating to the process and results of active management. Many good images get lost in the archives of this thread, or lose something in the format etc.
I know the Worc Trust has a flickr pool, this is not in competition with that( cross posting is allowed anyway, and commonplace), but collecting a pictoral record of all species of bird, plant, dragonfly, fungi etc on the reserve would help those interested in wildlife in general to expand their knowledge, and provide a historical and living record specific to Upton.
There is room for a bit of 'art', but please remember the ethos is about recording diversity, and the changes on the reserve, it's not there to show everyones best Kingfisher shot, great as they all are ;)
So If you have a Flikr account, and are interested, let me know and I can invite you ( I am aware of some and will be giving them a nudge ), if you do not yet , sign up and let me know. We will see how it goes :t:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1847974@N22/

Last edited:
Haven't got an account Mark 'cos I can't access Flickr from work due to corporate firewall... nice thought though.

Thanks for the invite Mark, I've joined up. However I am not a photographer so don't expect any input from moi. Do like to see the diversity across the reserve though, historical records are fundemental to the changing biodiversity of any community, without knowing whats emigrating and migrating records are difficult to keep.

Good idea mate I'm sure it will prove a success :t:

Just recieved this email from Graham LaB,

At 7.54am a glossy ibis flew over Brickhouse Lane in northerly direction heading towards Bromsgrove. The bird flew over the reserve for 1st timne ticl over rexerve. Did anybody see it? Graham

Was also sent to most of the other Upton guys so?

Seems a bit odd that its not on Brians site yet? Anyone know any more?

Just recieved this email from Graham LaB,

At 7.54am a glossy ibis flew over Brickhouse Lane in northerly direction heading towards Bromsgrove. The bird flew over the reserve for 1st timne ticl over rexerve. Did anybody see it? Graham

Was also sent to most of the other Upton guys so?

Seems a bit odd that its not on Brians site yet? Anyone know any more?

More details needed. Do we know who saw it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back