• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diver - Burghead (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Hi all,
I was luckily in the Highlands in early May when the White-Billed Diver was present at Burghead, so popped down to see it. Distant but good views.I took a few pictures hoping one or two would come out. I've just been looking through these and come up with a conundrum that I'm sure you can answer.

Picture 1 is the WBD. I thought, when taking Picture 2 this was also the WBD - pictures taken only 3 minutes apart - but suddenly the throat markings have moved from the back of the neck to the front of the neck:eek!: Also, the bird in Picture 2 appears to be slimmer. I can't find any Diver in Collins that matches this. What am I looking at in Picture 2?

Cheers
John

Attachments

• White-Billed_Diver1.jpg
    White-Billed_Diver1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 175
  • White-Billed_Diver2.jpg
    White-Billed_Diver2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 179
The markings are on the sides of the neck, they just look like they are on the front in the first photo. Both photos are White-billed Diver - don't worry :t:

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back