• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I’m new here, and I’m wondering what exactly constitutes birding, and what does not. (1 Viewer)

I haven't done a lot of research on where to go to see birds, but that's because someone I don't know has spent a great deal of time creating a website detailing all of his favorite birding locations in my area...it's truly a fantastic resource (http://bit.ly/1aELPFJ for anyone in northern California who may have an interest). I also use the same website to help me with bird identification, since it lets you know what kind of birds can typically be seen at a given location. I'm not yet accomplished with identification, so it's good to get the extra help. I'm hoping that as I get a little more experience, I can begin to take educated guesses at finding other good bird locations.

TBH, when I say "research", I mean exactly this. For my home area, there is a good local bird club web site, and many many excellent local birders blogs, and the local threads on birdforum.

But my job takes me around Europe and the UK on occasion, and I have managed to find good places to spend an hour in or near several cities, where I usually see a number of species I don't get to see "up north".

And I'm still poor at identification, and probably not as committed to the cause as I need to be to get really good at it, but I still consider myself a birder (perhaps also a fledgeling, as you say!)

Just so that it may be more useful to others. The site you refer to here DCSonoma is my Sonoma County Bird Watching Spots. http://www.colintalcorft.com/. Thanks for your kind words about it. Personally, I think bird photography and birding are highly compatible--as do most people.

Also, consider joining the local Audubon Society (Madrone Audubon) and going on their outings.

Colin - the link has a typo in it, I think.

I've only considered myself a "birder" for 2-3 years. It started out photography centric and is still mainly about taking photos of birds.

It started when I took a few photos of sea birds and found it both challenging and interesting. I got a better zoom camera to be able to get better/closer photos.

I take pictures, look at them on the computer, try to ID them, ask here if I'm not sure, look them up and read about the behaviors and habits of the birds I photograph. I keep a digital photo album of the best examples of each species that I photograph. I include links in the album to the Cornell site and some notes on where I took the photo and when. I specifically go out with the camera looking for new photos and also build the activity into other family activities.

I'm not into keeping all kinds of lists but this digital album is my "Life List" .

The photography came first and the leaning about each new bird species came along naturally as I added new birds to the list. I'm always glad to be able to add a new page to the album.

Perhaps some would say I'm not a true birder. But it's my hobby so to me I am a birder.

Colin, thanks for the reply...you really surprised me. I'll use this opportunity to tell you that your website has been acting as my de facto guidebook to Sonoma County, and I greatly appreciate what you've done. Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back