• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie Birder FLORIDA question (1 Viewer)

Attiliod

Hi, Im a professional photographer who has been bitten by the birding bug. Ive only been at it a short time.

My question is,
March, April and May in South Florida, are they still good times for birding. Shorebirds and wading birds aside.
I'm interest in Warblers and predator birds.
I was told that the Warblers are leaving but not sure if that is true. They are my first love. Such variety and hit or miss. Hummingbirds as well.

I travel mostly from West Palm to South Miami. A few trips to Naples.

Just wondering basically what birds hang around or does it start to dry up.

Thanks for your time with any info at all

Sea ducks, sandpipers, snow buntings, rufous hummingbird, summer tanager, painted bunting, flycatchers, yellow-rumped warblers and the occasional out of place warbler are still there.

Snow Buntings in South Florida...?

March, April, and May are transitional with many species coming and going during that time.

March is still pretty much 'winter' birding, although most migratory ducks will be pushing out by then (not that we get that many down here). Swallow-tailed Kites arrive, Purple Martins are nesting, etc.

April is big. All the wintering warblers (22-25 species) depart in early April, being replaced by migratory species from mid-April to early May. Most of these migratory species passing through are of Caribbean origin (Cape May, Black-throated Blue, Prairie, American Redstart) with a good helping of Blackpoll Warbler as well. Breeding specialties like Gray Kingbird and Black-whiskered Vireo arrive but raptors such as Short-tailed Hawk depart (mostly).

May transitions into summer. The first week of May is still solid spring migration (with big pulses of smaller shorebirds as well), but mid to late May are well within the summer doldrums. Head out to Big Cypress National Preserve to find breeding Northern Parula, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Prothonotary Warbler, Red-eyed Vireo, and others.

June to July -- travel, catch up with other hobbies, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back