• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off to Bempton cliffs (1 Viewer)

garymicheal

Hi peeps I'm of to Bempton tomorrow for the first time just going to get a feel for the place but I'm wondering if I'd be OK just taking my canon
100mm - 400mm mkii lens or will I need my 600mm f4 . I'd rather not take the 600mm if I can get reasonable pics with the 100- 400 your thoughts please

I think the shorter lens is OK. I found there that the seabirds in flight r pretty much level with you if you find the right spot and pretty close. Shots down the cliff don't really work so well. I imagine there aren't many if any puffins within reasonable range yet.
May get lucky with a short eared owl.
I think from memory I actually used only a 200mm for the courting gannets.

Take the zoom - it'll be more versatile. The birds can be quite close. It pays to move away from the major hotspots ie the designated viewing points as they'll be rammed. If you are prepared to walk for 10 -15 minutes you can get shots without having people jostling you. I tend to walk South myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back