• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

A Dartford Warbler was found at Swillington Ings this morning, on the hillside to the west of the Visitors' Centre. This is the second site record but it is still a scarce Yorkshire bird (only about the fifth County record).

A Dartford Warbler was found at Swillington Ings this morning, on the hillside to the west of the Visitors' Centre. This is the second site record but it is still a scarce Yorkshire bird (only about the fifth County record).

A fair few birders there yesterday morning a nice addition to my Yorks list :t:

Dartford warbler apparently now at St. Aiden's - went this morning and unfortunately dipped on it, but quite windy so that was putting birds down. Quite a few stonechats about though.

Sugar beet is a winter staple for pinkfooted geese. It is also a spring sown crop so in general the field will be an over wintered stubble beforehand. In general sugar beet is a wildlife friendly crop and should be encouraged over winter sown cereal IMO. A new sugar beet factory should increase the acreage grown in the area so is therefore a good thing for the birds.

It's the location of the plant that is the problem, the A1 from M18 junction through to North of Ripon is congested almost 24/7. The A59 is a major artery from York to Harrogate and also takes a large volume of traffic. The volume of traffic this will add to an already overstretched road network will mean gridlock in places for long periods of the day.
I've no objection to the plant in a different location but sticking it right next to the A1/A59 junction is lunacy.

Keith,the sugar beet plant cannot be as big a blot as the incinerator just up the road along the old red wall. If the plant went ahead surely local farmers would grow beet as they did until the old York factory closed. Spent many an hour in days gone by hoeing out the weeds among young beet plants for beer money.

Pete you are wrong on this one what they are planning is the biggest sugar plant in Europe, it will belong to a middle east organisation and there will be three silos each taller and much much wider than the incinerator chimney. The whole thing is an utter nightmare, I read somewhere they would be talking up to 1000 lorries at day but don't know if that is true or not.

Pete you are wrong on this one what they are planning is the biggest sugar plant in Europe, it will belong to a middle east organisation and there will be three silos each taller and much much wider than the incinerator chimney. The whole thing is an utter nightmare, I read somewhere they would be talking up to 1000 lorries at day but don't know if that is true or not.
Yes I now see what the problem would be,I was picturing something on the lines of the old York plant. We often use the A168 as a quieter route alongside the A1M looks like that option will have gone if this goes through. The ownership might give local people a few sleepless night as ME countries are not noted for being environmently friendly.

Blackbirds

I've got a new resident in the garden-99% certain she's a female blackbird,but plumage is a little different.Paler "eyebrows",redder colour bur still brown,black beak-is this one of our winter visitors,or just a variation?
Also,I've just signed the beet factory petition.As a local resident,I'm disgusted that this has been dropped on us.

Hi Arthur - your bird sounds like it could be a juvenile blackbird. They have dark bills but can be quite light coloured until the first body moult.
I've got a new resident in the garden-99% certain she's a female blackbird,but plumage is a little different.Paler "eyebrows",redder colour bur still brown,black beak-is this one of our winter visitors,or just a variation?
Also,I've just signed the beet factory petition.As a local resident,I'm disgusted that this has been dropped on us.

A successful if wet morning at Wykeham Forest (and then Brompton church) yesterday but potential visitors be warned that the raptor viewpoint carpark is currently a quagmire and being used for stacking great piles of logs. maybe better to park at the right angled bend.

Steve

Bolton Abbey/The Strid
Just wondering if anyone has been to Bolton Abbey or the Strid in the last week or so - have the pied fly's, redstarts, wood warblers etc started to return yet? Thanks. Tom

Bolton Abbey/The Strid
Just wondering if anyone has been to Bolton Abbey or the Strid in the last week or so - have the pied fly's, redstarts, wood warblers etc started to return yet? Thanks. Tom

Friend of mine was up there last week, and had nothing. We're heading for our annual BF Tyke Dawn Chorus walk on May Day so hopefully some stuff should have turned up by then.

I want to visit Skipwith Common early next week to try and see Woodlark - I did try once in 2014 but got a 0. Any tips - what time to be there to hear them sing? What are the best places in the area to see them? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back