• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June 25th moths for ID (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I got a few moths last night, mostly ones I've had before such as clouded border, common white wave and bright-line brown-eye.
As always, there are some I'm struggling with. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• dark_arches.jpg
    dark_arches.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104
  • moth1.jpg
    moth1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 116
  • micro.jpg
    micro.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 98
clouded borders

The clouded borders are quite variable (though the colour variation is down to my photograpy!):

Attachments

• clouded_border1.jpg
    clouded_border1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 119
  • clouded_border2.jpg
    clouded_border2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 78
  • clouded_border.jpg
    clouded_border.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 81
Surreybirder said:
I got a few moths last night, mostly ones I've had before such as clouded border, common white wave and bright-line brown-eye.
As always, there are some I'm struggling with. Can anyone help?
Dark Arches, Have you not had this before?

Uncertain or Rustic, probably the former, but even with the best of photos, I wouldn't be confident on separating these 2

Celypha lacunana (Tortricoid)

Angus T said:
Uncertain or Rustic, probably the former, but even with the best of photos, I wouldn't be confident on separating these 2

Indeed, although the darkness of the stigmata would lean me towards The Uncertain. Need look at hindwings and more detail on the pic to be sure though.

Thanks, Steve, Mike and Angus.
Yes, I did have dark arches once before... shows I'm a slow learner. But I had it down as probably DA, as you can tell from what I called the photo!
Is there any way of looking at the hindwings of a moth without damaging it. I did sort of poke at it with a paint brush but it just scuttled around the jar!

Ken

Looking at hindwings is with me mixed success. Sometimes they'll just sit, and the wing can be gently lifted up. More often it scuttles as you say. Even after being in fridge for while, many still scuttle.

So I'm curious as well for a good method.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back