• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Phil saw 77 species at s'Albufera today, a great total for February. One Spanish wagtail a few Barn Swallows and a House martin were the only migrants though. Still very cold with snow on the mountains and a north wind for a few days more. Mike

Well done Mike :t: Any Marbled Duck around? As you mentioned a few Swallows passing through, not sure that the close to freezing temperature is to their liking though.. 5 Alpine Accentors were seen on the road up to the Albercutx watch tower yesterday. Now's a good time to find them lower down, especially round cliffs.

St

Hi Simon

Sorry, I've no idea.

On my trips here I get to travel on the Parc boats - quite an experience!!

Martin

Marbled duck have not been seen by Phil or me yet this year. I keep looking though. Great news about the Alpine accentors, I am going for a long walk around the mountains on Sunday so I may just get lucky, I still need them for this year. Two Common swift yesterday on the road to Santa Ponça, they kept going, don't blame them, it was very cold. A few more Barn swallow too. Mike

Thanks for the tip, Steve. 3 Alpine Accentors were on the Mirador de Formentor yesterday, just above the car park, and 3-5 at Albercutx tower (maybe the same birds?).
I spent the afternoon taking photos - what a fearless bird!

Attachments

• Alpine Accentor_5760.jpg
    Alpine Accentor_5760.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Alpine Accentor_5782.jpg
    Alpine Accentor_5782.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Alpine Accentor_5851.jpg
    Alpine Accentor_5851.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 59
superb shots of one of my target species.. still a lifer for now!

Thanks for the tip, Steve. 3 Alpine Accentors were on the Mirador de Formentor yesterday, just above the car park, and 3-5 at Albercutx tower (maybe the same birds?).

Great shots Clive!! :t: Last year on the top of Galatzo while resting after the long climb I had one perch briefly on my foot (tempted by a ham sandwich) Totally fearless....o:D

Last edited:
Two Egyptian vultures near Artá were brilliant and gave good views today. Nice to see Clive again. Also two Booted eagle and many Cirl bunting. Mike

A big influx of House Martins with many old nests in the towns being occupied again. Also a White Stork seen in flight but Northerly winds for the next few days may slow things down a bit. Mike

Some Red-rumped swallows moving through, also Chough still in the mountains, a Nightingale and some Yellow wagtails here now. Two new birds for my local patch today; Black-winged stilt and 7 Green sandpipers.

Hi Mike

Keep a few migrants for me. Will be arriving on the 9th for a week hoping to catch up with some good birds (etc.) at s'Albufera (etc.).

Martin

Looking forward to arriving next Friday at the Pollensa Park, especially as the weather here in Northampton is atrocious- constant snow, cold easterly wind and temperature of 0 degrees. A fortnight in Mallorca in the spring is a great tonic after the winter we have had in Britain.I will try to put a report each day that I can of the birds around the area, and where i am about to go the next day as well. Hugh Matthews

Thanks Hugh, I would appreciate that especially as I will be in the UK next week. The weather looks terrible, not looking forward to that, but it will be nice to see some birds that don't appear here; Rook, Crow, Nuthatch, Treecreeper and the Woodpeckers, Have a great time, Mike

At S'Albufera on 18th March, some Sand Martins were with Barn Swallows, 2 Pintail, 1 Black-tailed Godwit and 1 Curlew. Also some Yellow Wagtails and Water Pipits, and some visiting birdwatchers I met reported a Purple Heron.

At S'Albufera on 18th March, some Sand Martins were with Barn Swallows, 2 Pintail, 1 Black-tailed Godwit and 1 Curlew. Also some Yellow Wagtails and Water Pipits, and some visiting birdwatchers I met reported a Purple Heron.

Today there were at least two Purple Herons flying over the reeds west of Site 8 in the Gosney Guide in sAlbufera. Álso present were Osprey, Green Sand, Little Stint, Gull billed Tern (1), Water Pipit and two Stone Curlew, as well as 14 Flamingos flying overhead during the morning.

Yesterday, noted Green Sand, Little Stint and a fw Ringed Plovers along Eddie´s track in the salinas near Colonia Santa Jordi.

Lots of Cory´s and Balearic Shears off Cap Formentor this evening. By the way, what is the status of Yelkouan Shearwater off Mallorca?

Yelkouan shearwater is a scarce winter visitor mainly seen off Formentor but I have also seen them at Capdepera lighthouse and I think they are more common near Menorca. Well done for your sightings, great stuff, no Gull-billed terns reported yet so they were a good find. Please keep the reports coming if you can. thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back