• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (3 Viewers)

cinclodes said:
I don't have a very high opinion of birders, but I have to admit that no experienced birder could mistake a pileated for an ivorybill. .

Even if they have white primaries and secondaries on occasion?

cinclodes said:
No, but the birding community sucks. Many birders share my views on this. Sorry if you don't like hearing the truth.

Birders in general suck? Or birders as a group suck? This Birdforum sucks? You're expressing an opinion. Your truth.

cinclodes said:
No, but the birding community sucks. Many birders share my views on this. Sorry if you don't like hearing the truth.

This is really impressive. How can you generalise birders like this? There are millions of birders, from people who watch what comes and goes in their garden through to hardcore 'tickers', so how can you envelope them as a community and then give them a label that they suck?

As someone else has pointed out, this is your opinion, not fact and not truth, and from what I've seen of your more recent posts, your opinion is getting to the point where it is not worth listening to.

Oh, and who are these birders who share your views? Do they all share what is becoming a quite creepy and disturbing single-species obsession?

chris murphy said:
This is really impressive. How can you generalise birders like this? There are millions of birders, from people who watch what comes and goes in their garden through to hardcore 'tickers', so how can you envelope them as a community and then give them a label that they suck?

As someone else has pointed out, this is your opinion, not fact and not truth, and from what I've seen of your more recent posts, your opinion is getting to the point where it is not worth listening to.

Oh, and who are these birders who share your views? Do they all share what is becoming a quite creepy and disturbing single-species obsession?

Well, what I find quite creepy and disturbing is someone calling someone else's dedication to a very worthwhile project "quite creepy and disturbing."

gws said:
Well, what I find quite creepy and disturbing is someone calling someone else's dedication to a very worthwhile project "quite creepy and disturbing."

well, what i find quite creepy and disturbing is someone who finds it quite creepy and disturbing that someone else finds something i too consider, 'quite creepy and disturbing', 'quite creepy and disturbing'

Stringclodes' ignoring bit is well creepy though
and disturbing
well, quite
at least

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
well, what i find quite creepy and disturbing is someone who finds it quite creepy and disturbing that someone else finds something i too consider, 'quite creepy and disturbing', 'quite creepy and disturbing'

Stringclodes' ignoring bit is well creepy though
and disturbing
well, quite
at least

Tim

Admit it Tim, Cinclodes ignores you because he's outed you as a ranking member of the birder hierarchy, British division...you may even be the Paleoarctic leader of the vast white-wing conspiracy.

gws said:
What some would regard as "ignoring" might instead be discerning.

many birders over in the states are very discerning when it comes to Stringclodes, aren't they?

this thread has become amazing lately... like watching a car crash and getting some perverse enjoyment from it

Tim

gws said:

I am stunned that someone would find the fact that I look for Ivory billed woodpeckers as "quite creepy" or "disturbing". I know people that like to hunt white tails. NOthing creepy about that. Some like to hunt pronghorn. Nothing creepy there. Some want to study puma. Something "disturbing" about that?

BTW Interviewing process has turned up three people that say that they have seen a large black and white woodpecker that matches a female Ivory Billed woodpecker within shouting distance of my search area. More information to come when acquired.

Work goes on even in the dog days of summer... ouch, darn woodpecker. I wish they would stop pecking... The work may be different but we are now past the dog days and are on an upward swing.

Jesse

Jesse Gilsdorf said:
BTW Interviewing process has turned up three people that say that they have seen a large black and white woodpecker that matches a female Ivory Billed woodpecker within shouting distance of my search area. More information to come when acquired.Jesse

This such good news, Jesse. My best to your 'hunt'.

cinclodes said:
I don't have a very high opinion of birders, but I have to admit that no experienced birder could mistake a pileated for an ivorybill. The fact that no big-name birder has found an ivorybill has exposed them as phonies, but I have known this for years. The American birding community is based on a petty social hierarchy in which birders kiss up to those perceived to have higher ranking and kick those perceived to have lower ranking. In such a community, phonies tend to rise to the top and the best tend to become loners. Skepticism thrives because (a) it's important to dismiss any findings by up-and-coming birders in order to stay on top of them and (b) the phonies at the top are so mediocre and small minded that they can't fathom the achievements of others.

So you personally know all the 'big-name birders' in America? And you claim that them having not found an IBWO exposes them as phonies? Now THIS is what I was referring to as 'creepy and disturbing obsession'. Perhaps they're just interested in birds in general, and not just one?
Also, you go out alone to look for IBWO, does this make you a loner? By which, are you inferring that you are one of the best birders in the American birding community? If so, who are these 'mediocre phonies' at the top? Who? Sibley? Jackson? Please do tell.
The persecution complex that you are developing is becoming quite worrying.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back